Wingnuts Add Former MLB Hurler to Staff, Bring Back Oldham
WICHITA, KS (August 24, 2015) - The Wichita Wingnuts already featured two men with Major League Baseball experience in their starting rotation. As of Monday afternoon, the team added someone with experience at baseball's highest level to the bullpen. The Wingnuts have come to an agreement with former Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim reliever Robert Mosebach. Taylor Oldham also returned to the club after being acquired in a trade with Fargo-Moorhead.
The 30-year old Mosebach (MOZE-bock) was drafted in the 12th round of the 2004 MLB Draft by the Montreal Expos, but chose to remain at Hillsborough Community College for another season. The decision to return paid off when he was selected three rounds earlier in 2005 by the Angels. He began his professional career by pitching in 15 games, 13 of them starts for the rookie level Orem Owlz.
His performance earned him a promotion to the Single-A level out of spring training in 2006. He combined to go 11-7 with an earned run average of 3.46 between Cedar Rapids and Rancho Cucamonga. The following season saw him receive his first taste of the Double-A level after spending a majority of the campaign at High-A with Rancho Cucamonga again.
In 2008, Mosebach spent the entire season with the Double-A Arkansas Travelers. He made 29 starts and posted a 9-12 record with a 4.62 ERA. He amassed 177.1 innings on the mound and struck out 88 while walking 69.
The native of West Palm Beach, Florida was moved into a relief role beginning in 2009. He moved back and forth between Arkansas and Triple-A Salt Lake before the parent club called him up in late July. Mosebach made his Major League debut on July 25th against the Minnesota Twins and surrendered two hits in a scoreless innings. The right-hander made two more appearances for the Angels and ended up allowing three runs over 2.1 innings. He finished the year back in Salt Lake.
The 2010 campaign began with Mosebach in the Arizona Rookie League where he pitched well enough in five appearances to be placed back at Triple-A. His season ended early due to an arm injury and he has not pitched professionally since.
In six seasons, he has pitched a total of 169 games and made 95 starts. He has a 41-33 record and a 3.99 ERA for career. Moseback owns a strikeout/walk ratio just below 2.00 in his professional service.
Oldham was named the Wingnuts Unsung Hero Award Winner last season. He was the team's opening day starter in left field, but spent a chunk of time on the disabled list after suffering an injury while making a diving catch in the first series of the year. He was traded to Fargo-Moorhead on July 22nd and hit .275 in 17 games with the Redhawks.
Right handed reliever Daniel Bennett was placed on the disabled list and infielder Kori Melo was released, thus opening two roster spots.
Mosebach and Oldham will be available in the opening game of a three-game series with St. Paul on Monday night at 7:05 p.m. For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 24, 2015
- 'Hawks Win Battle with the Birds 11-5 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- A Night of Firsts as Saints Lose Third Straight 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Post Comeback Win in Quebec - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Add Former MLB Hurler to Staff, Bring Back Oldham - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Add Outfield Help in Hibbert - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Abercrombie Named Player of the Week - AA
- Blackwell Earns Pitcher of the Week Award - AA
- Zombie Night to Invade Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Blackwell Named American Association's Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Abercrombie's Hot Week Lands Him Player of the Week - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- ThunderHeads Back Home - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Canaries Hand Saints First Series Loss at CHS Field in 10-3 Win on Sunday Night - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.