Blackwell Earns Pitcher of the Week Award
August 24, 2015 - American Association (AA) News Release
DURHAM, NC- The official statistician of the American Association, Pointstreak, has announced that Sioux Falls Canaries RHP Shawn Blackwell (pictured) has been named this week's Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week for the week ending August 23.
Blackwell made one start this week, but made it count. On Saturday, he faced the Northern Division champion St. Paul Saints and twirled a complete game shutout. He allowed just five hits and no walks, striking out 10 Saints in a 6-0 Sioux Falls victory.
The League City, Tex. resident is now 3-9 with a 4.01 ERA on the season. He has struck out 87 in 103 innings. A 24th round pick of the Texas Rangers in 2009, Blackwell played three seasons in the Texas system. He pitched in 2010 with the AZL Rangers, going 6-3 with a 4.10 ERA in 13 starts. 2011 saw Blackwell return to the AZL, only making three starts in 14 appearances, and amassing a 5-0 record and 3.58 ERA. Blackwell split 2012 between the Short Season Class A Spokane Indians and the Class A Hickory Crawdads. Despite a 1-2 record and 3.76 ERA, he was released. From there, Blackwell spent two seasons with the Washington Wild Things in the Frontier League before joining Sioux Falls for 2015.
The Canaries open a home series with the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks tonight at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 24, 2015
- 'Hawks Win Battle with the Birds 11-5 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- A Night of Firsts as Saints Lose Third Straight 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Post Comeback Win in Quebec - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Add Former MLB Hurler to Staff, Bring Back Oldham - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Add Outfield Help in Hibbert - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Abercrombie Named Player of the Week - AA
- Blackwell Earns Pitcher of the Week Award - AA
- Zombie Night to Invade Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Blackwell Named American Association's Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Abercrombie's Hot Week Lands Him Player of the Week - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- ThunderHeads Back Home - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Canaries Hand Saints First Series Loss at CHS Field in 10-3 Win on Sunday Night - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.