Growlers Split Series with Dock Spiders
KALAMAZOO, MI - Growlers won game two against the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders 8 - 5.
Starting pitcher Jack Nelson, from Boston College, went 4.1 innings allowing five hits and three earned runs. The Dock Spiders scored two runs in the top of the first inning to start off the game. Jack Wassel started it off with a single to right field and then advanced to third on the Jacob Adams single to center field. Wassel scored on the Brendan Rivoli throw to second base.
Adams then scored on an infield play to get an out. The Growlers and Dock Spiders remained at 2 - 0 until the bottom of the fourth inning when Kalamazoo came back with a vengeance.
Cayman Richardson, from University of Virginia, started the Growlers out by running out an infield single to third base. Sam Hall, from Clemson University, doubled to right field to put two players in scoring position. Jason Sullivan out of Central Michigan University hit in both Richardson and Hall on his single to right field to tie the game.
Niko Kavadas hit a bomb of a home run off the Bell's Bear Cave in right field giving the Growlers their first lead of the game. Matt Mervis from Duke then stepped up to the plate, hitting another home run off the Bell's Bear Cave to make the score 5-2 in favor of the Growlers.
In the bottom of the fifth the Growlers scored three more runs off of a Mervis single to center field, and a Baron Radcliff single to center field. The Dock Spiders tried to come back in the seventh, scoring one more run but it wouldn't be enough with the final score being 8 - 5.
The Growlers will be at Homer Stryker Field again tomorrow and Tuesday at 7:05 PM against the Rockford Rivets.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Huskies Strike Late to Stun MoonDogs - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Win Fourth Straight as Binger Deals - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Hook Kingfish for a Double-Digit Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rivets Win Shootout 12-11 Against Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Growlers Push Past Spiders 8-5 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Growlers Split Series with Dock Spiders - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers Launch Two Home Runs to Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs Fall to Mallards in Weather-Shortened Contest - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Seek Redemption against Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Fall 8-7 in Extras to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Outlast Bombers, Lose 7-4 - Rockford Rivets
- Stingers Chisel Rox in 7-6 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Improbable Comeback - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Bats Break out in Win to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.