Rafters Fall to Improbable Comeback
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (14-18) took a nine-run lead 11-2 to the ninth and the Kenosha Kingfish (12-18) scored ten times for a one-run lead and held on to complete the largest ninth-inning comeback win in Northwoods League history.
Kenosha struck first with a two-run single from Jack Yalowitz. Following an hour and eleven-minute rain delay, the Rafters' bats came alive. Mike Rojas (Auburn) worked a bases-loaded walk and Jack-Thomas Wold (UNLV) cleared the bases with a three-run double in the fifth.
The cranberry and gold poured it on in the sixth. Wisconsin Rapids scored seven time on six hits. Steven Rivas (Long Beach State) plated two with a double and later scored on a wild pitch. Mitch Mallek (St. Cloud State) earned an RBI with a base hit to right. Wold collected his second double and plated two more runs.
In the top of the ninth, Kenosha set the tone with a leadoff home run to right center from Jack Yalowitz. The Kingfish loaded the bases multiple times and took the lead with a two-run double from Scott Dubrule. In the end, ten runs scored on six hits and one Rafter error. The ten-run ninth inning from Kenosha to come back and win is the largest such comeback in Northwoods League history.
Connor Doyle (1-0, 0.00 ERA) gets the win for pitching a scoreless bottom of the ninth. Josh Aguilar (0-2, 6.48 ERA) suffered the loss. Josh Serio (0-2, 2.19 ERA) earned his fifth save.
The Rafters will face the Kingfish tomorrow at Witter Field with a 4:05 pm first pitch.
Images from this story
Wisconsin Rapids Rafters first baseman Jack-Thomas Wold awaits a throw
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Huskies Strike Late to Stun MoonDogs - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Win Fourth Straight as Binger Deals - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Hook Kingfish for a Double-Digit Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rivets Win Shootout 12-11 Against Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Growlers Push Past Spiders 8-5 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Growlers Split Series with Dock Spiders - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers Launch Two Home Runs to Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs Fall to Mallards in Weather-Shortened Contest - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Seek Redemption against Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Fall 8-7 in Extras to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Outlast Bombers, Lose 7-4 - Rockford Rivets
- Stingers Chisel Rox in 7-6 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Improbable Comeback - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Bats Break out in Win to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.