Bullfrogs Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Mallards
Madison, WI. - The visiting Green Bay Bullfrogs (12-21) trailed 6-0 in the second inning and could not dig themselves out of the hole in a 12-6 defeat to the host Madison Mallards (25-8) from The Duck Pond at Warner Park Saturday evening. The Mallards clinch the Northwoods League South Division first half title with the victory as the Bullfrogs fall to 2-3 against Madison this season.
The Mallards struck first in the second inning with a RBI single followed by a two-run double from Max Hewitt to put Madison in front 3-0. The hosts continued to stretch their lead with a sacrifice fly, RBI single and scoring on a wild pitch to make it a 6-0 game.
Green Bay answered quickly in the third inning with a RBI triple by Alejandro Gonzalez (Freshman, Hillsborough CC) and RBI ground out from Eddy Gonzalez (Junior, Incarnate Word) to cut the deficit down to 6-2. A two-run shot by Madison's Jayse McLean in the following frame extended the Mallard's advantage back out to 9-2.
The Bullfrogs tallied four unanswered runs from the fourth until the eighth inning, while holding the Madison offense scoreless in four consecutive frames. A Blaise Maris (Sophomore, Florida Tech) lead-off home solo home run made it a 9-3 contest in the fourth inning. RBI singles from Maris in the sixth and Blake Nelson (Junior, Univ. of Michigan) in the seventh trimmed the margin down to 9-5. Luke Robinson's (Sophomore, Western Carolina) run-scoring single in the eighth inning got the Bullfrogs within three runs at 9-6.
Madison's bats came alive in the bottom of the eighth, tallying a RBI double, scoring on a wild pitch and another home run by McLean to push the margin out to 12-6.
Maris led the Green Bay offense going 2-for-5 with two RBIs. Cooper Morrison (Sophomore, UC Davis) finished 2-for-4 with a triple and two runs scored. Eddy Gonzalez, Alejandro Gonzalez and Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo (Freshman, Navarro College) each went 1-for-4 with one run scored.
Madison starting pitcher Dalton Wiggins earned the win, improving to 4-1. Green Bay starter McKinley Moore (Sophomore, Arkansas - Little Rock) took the loss, falling to 0-2. Bullfrogs right-handed pitcher Jason Applegate (Junior, Villanova) was solid in relief, allowing just one hit in three innings of work with four strikeouts.
Both teams conclude the home-and-home series tomorrow for a Sunday matinee from Joannes Stadium. First pitch is slated for a 1:05 p.m. start. A live video webcast of tomorrow's contest can be streamed online through the official Northwoods League website. Fans can also listen to the live audio broadcast on WOCO Radio (107.1 FM) or online at WOCO.Caster.FM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Huskies Strike Late to Stun MoonDogs - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Win Fourth Straight as Binger Deals - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Hook Kingfish for a Double-Digit Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rivets Win Shootout 12-11 Against Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Growlers Push Past Spiders 8-5 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Growlers Split Series with Dock Spiders - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers Launch Two Home Runs to Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs Fall to Mallards in Weather-Shortened Contest - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Seek Redemption against Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Fall 8-7 in Extras to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Outlast Bombers, Lose 7-4 - Rockford Rivets
- Stingers Chisel Rox in 7-6 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Improbable Comeback - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Bats Break out in Win to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Green Bay Booyah Stories
- Booyah Announce New Field Manager and Coaching Staff for 2021
- Green Bay Booyah Agree in Principle to Ownership Transfer of Franchise
- December 3rd "Out with the Old" Blowout Sale
- Booyah Announce Ticket Package Dates for 2021 Season
- Black Friday, Cyber Monday & December 3rd Blowout Sale Info