Stingers Chisel Rox in 7-6 Win
St. Cloud, Minn. - In a game full of emotional swings the Willmar Stingers were able to hold on defeat the St. Cloud Rox in extra innings Saturday night.
The Stingers got out to a hot start with a two run homer from John Trousdale (Alabama) in the fourth and then a three run blast off the bat of Nic Hernandez (Cal Poly Pomona) in the fifth.
Willmar had a 5-1 lead until in the sixth inning the Rox scored four runs and tied it up at five apiece.
Willmar would regain the lead in the eighth thanks to an RBI single off the bat of Eric Yang (UC Santa Barbara).
In the ninth and down to their final out the Rox tied it up and sent it to extra innings.
Finally the Stingers retook the lead in the 11th when Matt Rudick (San Diego St) crushed a solo shot over the right field wall, giving the Stingers the 7-6 lead.
Ben Mora (Cal Poly Pomona) got the win.
Willmar plays St. Cloud tomorrow night at Bill Taunton Stadium in Willmar.
The 2018 Stingers season is presented by Marcus Construction. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
CDI Player of the Game
Tonight's Center for Diagnostic Imaging player of the game was Nic Hernandez. CDI is your local medical imaging provider. It's your choice where you go for medical imaging, for MRI, CT, mammograms and pain injections, choose CDI. Visit online at myCDI.com/CentralMN.
Nic Hernandez - OF
Cal Poly Pomona
3-5 vs. St. Cloud
Home Run, 3 RBI
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Huskies Strike Late to Stun MoonDogs - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Win Fourth Straight as Binger Deals - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Hook Kingfish for a Double-Digit Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rivets Win Shootout 12-11 Against Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Growlers Push Past Spiders 8-5 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Growlers Split Series with Dock Spiders - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers Launch Two Home Runs to Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs Fall to Mallards in Weather-Shortened Contest - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Seek Redemption against Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Fall 8-7 in Extras to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Outlast Bombers, Lose 7-4 - Rockford Rivets
- Stingers Chisel Rox in 7-6 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Improbable Comeback - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Bats Break out in Win to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.