Growlers Push Past Spiders 8-5
KALAMAZOO, MI- On a scorching hot day to kick start the month of June the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (19-13) fell to the Kalamazoo Growlers (23-11) in game number two of the four game Michigan road stretch.
Fondy got on the board first in the first inning. Jack Wassel (Minnesota) and Jacob Adams (Ole Miss) started the ball game off in the first with back to back base hits. Wassel would score on an error by the catcher for the first run of the contest. Mitch Boe (Iowa) grounded into short but Adams would advance home making the score 2-0.
Jon Mierzwa (Catholic University) had the start in the mound for the Spiders and retired the side in the first and the second inning. Through two innings of work he had dished out three strikeouts. After three innings of play Mierzwa would not allow a hit but he ran into some trouble in the inning to follow.
The Growlers offense would erupt in the fourth inning where they ripped out six hits and produced five runs to take a 5-2 advantage. Kalamazoo blasted two home runs in the inning.
Fondy would answer back with a pair of runs of their own in the upper half of the fifth. Alex Erro (Northwestern) extended his hit streak to ten games when he sent home the third run of the game for the opposing team on a base hit. In the last three games now the Miami, FL native has twelve RBI. With two outs in the same inning down 5-3, Sam Cohen (UC Santa Barbara) would knock home a run with a single decreasing the deficit to one.
In the bottom half of the inning Kalamazoo would pick up right where they left of in the fourth picking up three more runs making the lead 8-4.
The Northwestern Wildcat would continue his hot streak when in the 7th inning he would drive in the fifth run of the game for Fond du Lac. Alex Erro (Northwestern) now has thirteen RBI in his last three games.
The Dock Spiders will match up vs. the Battle Creek Bombers for a two game stand starting tomorrow night at 6:05.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Huskies Strike Late to Stun MoonDogs - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Win Fourth Straight as Binger Deals - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Hook Kingfish for a Double-Digit Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rivets Win Shootout 12-11 Against Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Growlers Push Past Spiders 8-5 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Growlers Split Series with Dock Spiders - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers Launch Two Home Runs to Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs Fall to Mallards in Weather-Shortened Contest - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Seek Redemption against Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Fall 8-7 in Extras to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Outlast Bombers, Lose 7-4 - Rockford Rivets
- Stingers Chisel Rox in 7-6 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Improbable Comeback - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Bats Break out in Win to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fond du Lac Dock Spiders Stories
- Dock Spiders Offer 2019 Holiday Pack
- 2020 Ticket Packages Now on Sale
- Dock Spiders Announce 2020 Schedule
- Dock Spiders Welcome Back Charbonneau
- Dock Spiders and Timber Rattlers Announce Staff Promotions