Rafters Hook Kingfish for a Double-Digit Win
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (15-18) took down the Kenosha Kingfish (12-19) by 11 on Sunday afternoon. The Rafters won 16-5 over Kenosha. The cranberry and gold scored 16 times on 16 hits, the most runs scored by the Rafters this year.
Kenosha started the scoring in the first with two two-run singles from Devin Ortiz and Jack Yalowitz. The Rafters answered in the second with a two-run double from Brody Wofford (UCF). Wisconsin Rapids took the lead in the fourth and never looked back. It was all started by a two-run base hit from Jordan Wiley (Kalamazoo College). Steven Rivas (Long Beach State) followed with an RBI sac fly, Ty Duvall (Vanderbilt) earned an RBI double and Jack-Thomas Wold (UNLV) smacked an RBI single to end the scoring barrage.
The Kingfish tacked on one in the fifth with a base hit from Jack Weiller. A bases-loaded walk worked by Rivas brought in Payton Robertson (Louisiana State Shreveport) to score the lone Rafters run in the fifth. The hit party was far from over. Mitch Mallek (St. Cloud State), Mike Rojas (Auburn) and Payton Robertson all batted in runs during the sixth. Wisconsin Rapids poured it on in the eighth with a five-run, five-hit inning. The frame was highlighted by two Rafters home runs. Wofford hit a two-run blast off the scoreboard in right while Rivas dealt solo a bomb towards the right field corner. Mason McReaken (SIU Edwardsville) pitched a scoreless ninth to ensure the 16-5 win.
The win goes to Tyler Giovinco (1-0, 4.50 ERA) earning his first win in his first start with the Rafters. Casey Kempner (1-2, 4.50) suffered the loss allowing six earned runs.
The Rafters start a home and home series tomorrow with the 2018 South Division First Half Champion Madison Mallards. First pitch tomorrow from Witter Field is 7:05 pm CT.
Images from this story
Wisconsin Rapids Rafters on the mound
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 1, 2018
- Huskies Strike Late to Stun MoonDogs - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Win Fourth Straight as Binger Deals - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Hook Kingfish for a Double-Digit Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Late Inning Rally Falls Short to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rivets Win Shootout 12-11 Against Battle Creek - Rockford Rivets
- Growlers Push Past Spiders 8-5 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Growlers Split Series with Dock Spiders - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers Launch Two Home Runs to Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Frogs Fall to Mallards in Weather-Shortened Contest - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Seek Redemption against Kingfish - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Fall 8-7 in Extras to Thunder Bay - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Outlast Bombers, Lose 7-4 - Rockford Rivets
- Stingers Chisel Rox in 7-6 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Improbable Comeback - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Bats Break out in Win to Chinooks - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Rafters to Hold 7th Annual Hot Stove Rendezvous
- Rafters Announce 2020 Northwoods League Schedule
- Former Rafters Make a Splash in Professional Baseball
- Skyward and Rafters Hold 7th Annual Teacher of the Year Essay Contest
- Schiekofer Earns Rawlings 'Big Stick' Award