Grizzlies Win 5-4 Shootout Thriller
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies win 5-4 in a shootout over the Florida Everblades at Maverik Center as Brandon Saigeon scored a game tying goal with 2:34 left in regulation to tie up the game and later Saigeon got the game winner in the shootout as the Grizzlies go 4-1 in the completed 5 game homestand.
Joe Wegwerth had 1 goal and 1 assist for the Grizzlies. He was on the same line with Jack Jenkins, his college teammate at Notre Dame for the past 4 seasons. Jenkins scored his first professional goal 13:29 into the third period. It was a shorthanded goal that tied up the game 3-3.
Grizzlies outshot the Everblades 39 to 31 in the game. Florida's Logan Roe had 2 goals and 1 assist. Roe scored the only first period goal in the game 11:32 into the contest on the power play.
Wegwerth and Jake Jackson each scored second period even strength goals. For Jackson it was his first in a Utah uniform and 2nd overall as he scored 1 goal in 2 games for Orlando earlier this season. Grizzlies led 2-1 after 2 periods.
The Everblades scored 2 goals early in the third period as Hugo Roy scored 2:20 into the third. Roy had 1 goal and 1 assist in the game. Roe's second in the game gave the Everblades a 3-2 lead. Jenkins tied it up with his shorthanded goal. Florida took a 4-3 lead with 4:03 left as Adam Smith scored from the left point.
Mason McDonald stopped 27 of 31 through overtime and was a perfect 3 for 3 in the shootout. He gets his second straight win in goal for the Grizzlies. Florida's goaltender Ken Appleby stopped 34 of 38 and was 2 for 3 in the shootout.
Grizz pick up 8 of a possible 10 standings points in the 5 game homestand. All 4 Utah wins went past regulation. A standout of the homestand was Felix Lauzon, who had 1 assist on Saturday and finished the 5 game homestand with 1 goal and 6 assists.
Next weekend the Grizzlies are on the road at Rapid City on Friday and Saturday night. Next homestand for the Grizz is on December 11th, 13th and 14th against the Newfoundland Growlers. Face-off all 3 nights is at 7 o clock.
1. Brandon Saigeon (Utah) - 1 goal, Shootout game winner. 5 shots on goal.
2. Joe Wegwerth (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist. 5 shots on goal.
3. Logan Roe (Florida) - 2 goals, 1 assist. 6 shots on goal.
Images from this story
Brandon Saigeon of the Utah Grizzlies in the shootout vs. the Florida Everblades
Utah Grizzlies celebrate a win over the Florida Everblades
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 1, 2019
- Americans Close out Two-Game Set in Tulsa with a 5-2 Loss - Allen Americans
- Oilers Bounce Back Big, Defeat Allen 5-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Score Four Times in Second Period, Hold off Nailers - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Ride First Period to Win over Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Blowout Thunder 6-2, Complete Weekend Sweep - Kansas City Mavericks
- Foget's Two Points Not Enough as Beast Lose in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls Short against Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Verbeek's OT Goal Propels Thunder to Bounce Back Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Komets Spoil Wings' Return Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - December 1 - ECHL
- Tom Parisi Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Former Thunder Netminder Makes FIrst NHL Start for Florida - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Can't Capitalize on Strong Start, Fall 6-3 to Allen - Tulsa Oilers
- Parks Stops 49 as Rush Take Series against Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Big First Period Helps Allen to 6-3 Win over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Roe's Career-Night Helps 'Blades Salvage Point in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Win 5-4 Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Come up Short in Comeback, Fall 4-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.