Mavericks Ride First Period to Win over Wichita
WICHITA, Kan. - In a game that was postponed on Friday night due to ice conditions, Wichita and Kansas City skated on Sunday afternoon to conclude the match-up. The Mavericks scored five in the first period en route to a 6-1 victory at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Beau Starrett and Cameron Hebig collected goals for the Thunder while Lane Bauer added an assist.
On Friday night, C.J. Eick got the scoring started at 3:35 to make it 1-0. Hebig tied the game just over a minute later. The game was stopped with 13:31 to go in the opening frame.
Ryan Van Stralen continued where he left off from last night's game, potting back-to-back goals to give Kansas City a 3-1 lead. His first came at 9:14 as he tipped home a shot from the blue line right after the Mavericks won a face-off. His second came at 13:07 as he walked around a Thunder defender and beat Evan Weninger. The Mavericks scored two more to up their lead to 5-1 as Rocco Carzo and Darian Dziurzynski found the net.
The only goal of the second came from Darian Dziurzynski, who potted his second of the afternoon on the power play at 18:49 to make it 6-1.
In the third, Starrett intercepted a pass in the slot with 1:30 left and beat Nick Schneider to make it a 6-2 game.
Starrett has goals in back-to-back games and points in 10 of his last 13. Hebig notched his 5th of the season.
Wichita will hit the road for the next two starting on Wednesday night in Rapid City. The Thunder returns home on Saturday, December 7 for Military Appreciation Night. Come help us honor our military as the team will wear a special uniform. The name of the team will be changed for one game to the Wichita Pegasus to help honor McConnell Air Force Base.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 1, 2019
- Americans Close out Two-Game Set in Tulsa with a 5-2 Loss - Allen Americans
- Oilers Bounce Back Big, Defeat Allen 5-2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Score Four Times in Second Period, Hold off Nailers - Toledo Walleye
- Mavericks Ride First Period to Win over Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Blowout Thunder 6-2, Complete Weekend Sweep - Kansas City Mavericks
- Foget's Two Points Not Enough as Beast Lose in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Wheeling's Comeback Falls Short against Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Verbeek's OT Goal Propels Thunder to Bounce Back Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Komets Spoil Wings' Return Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - December 1 - ECHL
- Tom Parisi Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Former Thunder Netminder Makes FIrst NHL Start for Florida - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Can't Capitalize on Strong Start, Fall 6-3 to Allen - Tulsa Oilers
- Parks Stops 49 as Rush Take Series against Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Big First Period Helps Allen to 6-3 Win over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Roe's Career-Night Helps 'Blades Salvage Point in Series Finale - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Win 5-4 Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Come up Short in Comeback, Fall 4-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.