Goaltender Kyle Jones Re-Signs with Colorado
WINDSOR, Colo. - The Colorado Eagles announced today the signing of goaltender Kyle Jones. Jones becomes the third player to remain with the Eagles as they transition to the ECHL, joining veterans Riley Nelson & Aaron Schneekloth. Jones was the starting netminder in last season's Central Hockey League All-Star Game, and his 29 wins in the regular season were one off the league lead despite playing in 11 fewer games (Rapid City's Danny Battochio won 30 in 54).
Jones ranked among the top 10 in all of the CHL's major goaltending categories in 2010-11, with 29 wins (2nd), a .916 SV% (5th), a 2.62 GAA (7th) and 4 shutouts (tied 2nd). His season also included a 42-save shutout against the defending champion Rapid City Rush on Nov. 24 (setting a new Eagles record for saves in a shutout), and a team record 60-save performance against Rapid City in a triple-overtime playoff win (the longest game in team history). This will mark Jones' second stint in the ECHL, as he played in 32 games for the Phoenix Roadrunners in 2008-09.
Prior to turning pro, Jones was a standout at D-III St. Norbert College from 2004-05 thru 2007-08, highlighted by a national championship in his final collegiate year. In that same season, the goalie won the Sid Watson Award, given to the nation's best D-III player (via the American Hockey Coaches Association). The Green Knights won four straight NCHA (Northern Collegiate Hockey Association) conference championships during Jones' time in Wisconsin, with the netminder being named the NCHA Player of the Year twice (2006 & 2008).
"Kyle Jones was an important part of our team's success last season, and showed that he can be an elite goaltender at the 'AA' level," said Eagles head coach & general manager Chris Stewart. "His play and leadership provided a calming confidence for our club. It's great to have those traits in any player, but especially in a goaltender."
The 2011-12 regular season begins on Friday, Oct. 14, with the Eagles' home-opener taking place on Friday, Oct. 21. A complete schedule can be found at www.ColoradoEagles.com.
Individual tickets for all Eagles regular season home games will go on sale in September, and can be purchased at www.ComcastTix.com, the BEC box office, or by calling 1-877-544-TIXX (8499) or 970-686-SHOT (7468). Stay tuned to www.ColoradoEagles.com for soon-to-be-announced ticket information, including new pricing plans and a $16 single-game ticket.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 20, 2011
- Gladiators Sign Dustin Cameron and Dallas Jackson - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades New Videoboard in Operation - Florida Everblades
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Forward Daniel Koger Agrees to Terms with Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Re-Sign Matt Reber - Utah Grizzlies
- Learn Hockey from the Area's Best - Kalamazoo Wings
- Beat The Heat This Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Goaltender Kyle Jones Re-Signs with Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Fan Favorite Bushee Returns for Third Season - Wheeling Nailers
- Former Toledo Storm Player Ted Dent Named Head Coach of AHL's Rockcord IceHogs - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Sign Defenseman Denny Urban - Reading Royals
- Walleye Land Two More - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.