Walleye Land Two More
(Toledo, OH) - The Toledo Walleye and Head Coach Nick Vitucci announced today that forward Brian Matte (MATT) and defenseman Dale Warkentin (WAR-kent-ihn) have agreed to terms for the 2011-12 season.
Matte, a native of Prince George, British Columbia, had his first taste of professional hockey last season with the Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League. In Laredo, Brian accumulated 26 points (14g, 12a) in 30 games. Prior to that, the 23-year-old competed in parts of two seasons with the University of Lethbridge. In his lone campaign in the Western Hockey League, he scored 17 goals with 13 assists.
Head Coach Nick Vitucci spoke highly of Brian. "I'm thrilled that we were able to land Brian Matte to our lineup this year. Brian is a player that Toledo fans will love. He plays with great energy, is not afraid of the tough area, will score some great goals and is not afraid to drop his gloves. He has a lot of sand paper to his game and I'm sure he will become a fan favorite in Toledo."
Warkentin comes from the Manitoba Junior Hockey League where he spent the last four years with the OCN Blizzard. In 2009-10, Dale collected 41 points (13g, 28a) and 116 penalty minutes in 62 contests. The 21-year-old was named to the MJHL First All-Star Team in 2010, and was Second All-Star Team in 2011.
"Dale comes to us from the Manitoba Junior Hockey League, said Head Coach Nick Vitucci. "He is a big strapping defenseman who has great mobility, a cannon of a shot, as well as overall toughness. It will be fun to watch Dale develop into the pro game."
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 20, 2011
- Gladiators Sign Dustin Cameron and Dallas Jackson - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades New Videoboard in Operation - Florida Everblades
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Forward Daniel Koger Agrees to Terms with Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Re-Sign Matt Reber - Utah Grizzlies
- Learn Hockey from the Area's Best - Kalamazoo Wings
- Beat The Heat This Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Goaltender Kyle Jones Re-Signs with Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Fan Favorite Bushee Returns for Third Season - Wheeling Nailers
- Former Toledo Storm Player Ted Dent Named Head Coach of AHL's Rockcord IceHogs - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Sign Defenseman Denny Urban - Reading Royals
- Walleye Land Two More - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.