Royals Sign Defenseman Denny Urban
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League and the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, today announced that team has agreed to terms with defenseman Denny Urban ["ER ben"]. Last season, Urban (5'10/173) (23), who hails from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, joined the Royals in early March after completing his senior year at Robert Morris University. In fourteen regular season games with the Royals, Urban scored three goals, assisted on six others (nine points) and picked up four penalty minutes. Urban also played six post-season games with Reading. Prior to joining the Royals, Urban led defensemen at Robert Morris with forty points (8g-32a) in thirty-five collegiate games. Urban is the fifth player, and first defenseman, announced as signed by the Royals for the 2011-12 season.
It didn't take long for Urban to make his presence felt with the Royals. In his second game with the team, he found himself in a somewhat unfamiliar circumstance, as he was called upon to take his first ever attempt in a shootout. Shooting in the eighth round, Urban didn't disappoint, bagging what proved to be the decisive shootout goal in a 4-3 win over the Trenton Devils. The next night, Urban continued his winning touch when he scored his first goal as a pro, which proved to be the game winner in Reading's 5-2 win over the Toledo Walleye. Four games later, Urban struck for the GWG again-this one when he registered the game's first goal in the Royals' 2-0 win over the Elmira Jackals that served to clinch the team's first regular season divisional title in six years-and only the second in team history. Prior to turning pro, Urban had a stellar four year career at Robert Morris. He earned a selection to the College Hockey America All-Rookie team in his freshman season and was chosen to the All-CHA First Team in his sophomore year. Urban, who served as an Alternate Captain for the Colonials in his senior year, established the all-time career scoring record for defensemen (28g-84a112pts in 136 total games) during his time at RMU.
Season Tickets for the 2011-12 Reading Royals ECHL season are currently available. Call 610-898-7825 for more information or log onto www.royalshockey.com . Is your club, group, or organization looking for fun and entertaining speakers for an upcoming event' Contact the Royals' Speakers Bureau to book a team representative for your next outing. More information on the Royals Speakers Bureau is available by contacting Mark Thompson at 484-400-3565 or [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 20, 2011
- Gladiators Sign Dustin Cameron and Dallas Jackson - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades New Videoboard in Operation - Florida Everblades
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Forward Daniel Koger Agrees to Terms with Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Re-Sign Matt Reber - Utah Grizzlies
- Learn Hockey from the Area's Best - Kalamazoo Wings
- Beat The Heat This Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Goaltender Kyle Jones Re-Signs with Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Fan Favorite Bushee Returns for Third Season - Wheeling Nailers
- Former Toledo Storm Player Ted Dent Named Head Coach of AHL's Rockcord IceHogs - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Sign Defenseman Denny Urban - Reading Royals
- Walleye Land Two More - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck