Former Toledo Storm Player Ted Dent Named Head Coach of AHL's Rockcord IceHogs
The Chicago Blackhawks have named Ted Dent as Head Coach of the organization's top minor league affiliate, the American Hockey League's Rockford IceHogs.
"We are proud to promote Ted to the head coaching position in Rockford, an extremely important role in our hockey operations department," Blackhawks Vice President/General Manager Stan Bowman said. "During his time with our organization, Ted has proven himself as a great leader and has developed a solid track record in helping players rise to the National Hockey League level. Our hockey operations department is full of talented individuals and we take pride when we are able to promote someone from within, like Ted."
"I am very honored and fortunate for the opportunity to coach the Rockford IceHogs," said Dent. "I would like to thank Mr. John McDonough, Mr. Stan Bowman and the rest of the Chicago Blackhawks management team for believing in me. I am excited to continue the development and growth of the young prospects we have in Rockford and at the same time create a positive winning environment."
A native of Toronto, Dent is entering his sixth season in the Blackhawks organization and his fifth with Rockford. He spent the previous five seasons as an assistant coach under Bill Peters and Mike Haviland with the IceHogs (2007-11) and Chicago's previous AHL affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals (2006-07). His teams have compiled a regular season record of 216-145-17-22 and qualified for the Calder Cup playoffs in four of the five campaigns. Dent has been instrumental in the development of 31 players that have been promoted to the Blackhawks from Rockford over the last four years.
Following a collegiate career at St. Lawrence University (NY), Dent played professional hockey for parts of four seasons with the CHL's Wichita Thunder and ECHL's Johnstown Chiefs, Charlotte Checkers and Toledo Storm. At the conclusion of his playing career Dent served as the video coordinator for the Washington Capitals from 1999-2004, working with current NHL head coaches Randy Carlyle and Ron Wilson. He began his career behind the bench as an assistant coach with the ECHL's Kelly Cup Champion Trenton Titans (2004-05) and served as the head coach of the ECHL's Columbia Inferno (2005-06) before joining the Blackhawks organization.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 20, 2011
- Gladiators Sign Dustin Cameron and Dallas Jackson - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades New Videoboard in Operation - Florida Everblades
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Forward Daniel Koger Agrees to Terms with Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Re-Sign Matt Reber - Utah Grizzlies
- Learn Hockey from the Area's Best - Kalamazoo Wings
- Beat The Heat This Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Goaltender Kyle Jones Re-Signs with Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Fan Favorite Bushee Returns for Third Season - Wheeling Nailers
- Former Toledo Storm Player Ted Dent Named Head Coach of AHL's Rockcord IceHogs - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Sign Defenseman Denny Urban - Reading Royals
- Walleye Land Two More - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.