Glenn's Big Hit Gives Saltdogs 3-1 Win
LINCOLN, NE - Alex Glenn smashed a bases-loaded double in the second inning and that is all the Lincoln Saltdogs needed as they defeated the Kansas City T-Bones 3-1 in a day game at Haymarket Park.
The middle game of the series had a special 11:00 AM start time as part of the Lincoln Public Schools Kids Rock the Park Day hosted by HyVee. 5,363 fans, mostly LPS fifth graders, packed Haymarket Park for the 10th edition of the event. The Saltdogs (43-44) and T-Bones (54-32) will play the nightcap of the doubleheader at 6:45 PM.
The Saltdogs offense grabbed the lead early. Randolph Oduber started the second inning with a hit. Then, two of the next three batters walked to load the bases for Glenn. The lefty pounded a double off the left-center field wall to score all three runners. Lincoln loaded the bases again in the inning but KC starter Hunter Adkins was able to strike out Curt Smith to end the side.
Saltdogs starter Brad Thoutt was dominant in his fifth pro start. The righty lasted a season-high six innings and held KC scoreless. The T-Bones managed just four hits and two walks off the rookie.
The T-Bones scraped across a run on reliever Derek Gordon in the seventh inning. Anthony Phillips led off the frame with a base hit. Next, he advanced to second on a wild pitch and moved to third when catcher Daniel Herrera's throw sailed into center field. Tucker Pennell knocked him home with a sacrifice fly to make it 3-1.
Jose Jose tossed a scoreless eighth inning and J.R. Bunda earned the save by finishing off the T-Bones in the ninth.
The Saltdogs are 11-2 in day games and 8-3 in doubleheader games before tonight's nightcap. Lincoln is trying to take the rubber match in order to win its fifth straight series.
Kyle Kinman gets the start for game two. First pitch is at 6:45 PM with coverage beginning at 6:15 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com/stream.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 22, 2018
- Dogs Strike out 14 in 4-0 Shutout of Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Offense Cleans up with Sweep of Canaries, Win 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Offense Falters in Rubber Match Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wichita Sweeps Goldeyes Behind Gillies, Homers - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Split Doubleheader with Saltdogs; Win Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Drop Series to Texas - Cleburne Railroaders
- Three Homers Not Enough in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Fan 14 Times in 4-0 Loss to Chicago - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Grayson Suffers Season-Ending Eye Injury - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Canaries Add Right-Hander Ogren - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Glenn's Big Hit Gives Saltdogs 3-1 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Return Home for Nine Games - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Release OF Keury De La Cruz - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- 12 Runs in the Ninth Gives RedHawks a Devastating Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Close Game Turns Blowout as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.