Canaries Add Right-Hander Ogren
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Canaries bolstered their pitching depth on Wednesday, announcing the signing of rookie right-hander Alex Ogren.
Ogren, who pitched at Division III St. Thomas this season, is expected to start Wednesday's game with St. Paul. Ogren will be used as an "opener" for the game, throwing the first couple innings of the game.
Ogren struck out 10 batters in 6.2 innings over six appearances his senior year with the Tommies in 2018 while working through shoulder injuries. The 23-year-old posted a 3.65 ERA his sophomore year in 2016, striking out 18 batters in 12.1 innings of work.
The Stillwater, Minn. native was all-conference in football, basketball, and baseball at Hill-Murray High School; he served as captain on the football and basketball teams.
In a corresponding move, the Birds released pitcher Chad Martin.
The Canaries and Saints meet for the last game of their series on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. The Canaries' game-worn blue home uniforms will be raffled off to fans at the game. Birds fans can get their tickets at the Sioux Falls Stadium box office or by calling 336-6060.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 22, 2018
- Dogs Strike out 14 in 4-0 Shutout of Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Offense Cleans up with Sweep of Canaries, Win 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Offense Falters in Rubber Match Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wichita Sweeps Goldeyes Behind Gillies, Homers - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Split Doubleheader with Saltdogs; Win Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Drop Series to Texas - Cleburne Railroaders
- Three Homers Not Enough in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Fan 14 Times in 4-0 Loss to Chicago - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Grayson Suffers Season-Ending Eye Injury - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Canaries Add Right-Hander Ogren - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Glenn's Big Hit Gives Saltdogs 3-1 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Return Home for Nine Games - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Release OF Keury De La Cruz - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- 12 Runs in the Ninth Gives RedHawks a Devastating Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Close Game Turns Blowout as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.