Dogs Strike out 14 in 4-0 Shutout of Gary
Rosemont, Ill. - The Dogs tied a single-game franchise record with 14 strikeouts en route to their fourth shutout of the year as Chicago defeated the Gary SouthShore RailCats 4-0 on the final Wiener Wednesday of the year at Impact Field.
Tommy Thorpe tossed six and two-thirds shutout innings his his fourth spot start of the year. The southpaw tallied a season-high eight strikeouts in his longest start of the season.
The Dogs broke through first in Wednesday's pitcher's duel, scoring a run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Joe Benson led the frame off with a triple, and Stephen Perez drove Benson in on a sacrifice fly.
The run came against Gary SouthShore starter Keaton Steele, who pitched seven innings and allowed only one earned run on six hits.
With Steele out of the game for the first time the Chicago bats went to work again in the bottom of the eighth inning. The Dogs pounded out four consecutive two-out hits against Gary SouthShore reliever Robbie Coursel including an RBI single from Dalton Blaser and a two-run double from Benson, and pushed their lead to 4-0.
Benson finished the game 2-3 with a triple, a double, a walk, and two RBI.
Kaohi Downing worked a scoreless inning and one-third, and Taylor Grover struck out the side in a scoreless ninth inning to complete the shutout for Chicago.
With the victory the Dogs move to 39-49 on the year, while Gary SouthShore falls to 50-38 on the year with the loss.
Chicago will continue their six game homestand Thursday at Impact Field as the Dogs begin a series with the St. Paul Saints. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Tickets are on sale now in line at the Impact Field Ticket Office and online at www.thechicagodogs.com/tickets/
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 22, 2018
- Dogs Strike out 14 in 4-0 Shutout of Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Offense Cleans up with Sweep of Canaries, Win 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Offense Falters in Rubber Match Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wichita Sweeps Goldeyes Behind Gillies, Homers - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Split Doubleheader with Saltdogs; Win Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Drop Series to Texas - Cleburne Railroaders
- Three Homers Not Enough in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Fan 14 Times in 4-0 Loss to Chicago - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Grayson Suffers Season-Ending Eye Injury - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Canaries Add Right-Hander Ogren - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Glenn's Big Hit Gives Saltdogs 3-1 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Return Home for Nine Games - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Release OF Keury De La Cruz - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- 12 Runs in the Ninth Gives RedHawks a Devastating Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Close Game Turns Blowout as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Keon Barnum Selected as American Association MVP
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars
- Dogs Fall To Saints On Barnum's Historic Night