Wichita Sweeps Goldeyes Behind Gillies, Homers
WICHITA, Kan. - Charlie Gillies tossed seven strong innings, and the Wichita Wingnuts got clutch home runs from Tony Thomas and Angel Reyes to sweep the Winnipeg Goldeyes 7-3 on Wednesday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Gillies (7-5) survived three solo homers from the Goldeyes offense, including back-to-back shots in the first from Reggie Abercrombie and Josh Mazzola that gave Winnipeg (36-53) a 2-0 lead. The Wingnuts (54-35) answered with a run of their own in the bottom of the frame, as Logan Watkins singled, stole two bases, and came in to score on a sacrifice fly from Abel Nieves that cut the lead in half.
Grant Heyman hit the Goldeyes third solo homer of the night in the fourth to extend the lead to 3-1, but that would prove to be all that Gillies allowed. The Wingnuts righty struck out seven, while walking just one and allowing four hits.
Wichita struck for three runs to take the lead in the bottom of the inning. After a one-out walk to Angel Reyes, Thomas skied a two-run homer to left that tied the game at 3-3. It was the league-leading 21st home run of the season for Thomas, tying Kelly Hunt and Greg Porter for the second-most long balls in Wingnuts single-season franchise history.
Logan Trowbridge gave the Wingnuts the lead later in the inning with a sacrifice fly, scoring Chase Simpson who had sliced a one-out triple.
Reyes increased Wichita's lead to 5-3 in the sixth with a line drive solo homer off Winnipeg starter Brennan Bernardino (1-2). The Wingnuts then put the game away in the seventh, courtesy of a two-run single off the bat of Zach Nehrir that produced the game's final margin.
Austin Boyle was excellent in relief for Wichita, slamming the door with two scoreless innings. Boyle retired all six hitters he faced, racking up two strikeouts along the way.
The Wingnuts travel to Texas for a three-game series against the Texas AirHogs beginning on Thursday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 22, 2018
- Dogs Strike out 14 in 4-0 Shutout of Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Offense Cleans up with Sweep of Canaries, Win 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Offense Falters in Rubber Match Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wichita Sweeps Goldeyes Behind Gillies, Homers - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Split Doubleheader with Saltdogs; Win Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Drop Series to Texas - Cleburne Railroaders
- Three Homers Not Enough in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Fan 14 Times in 4-0 Loss to Chicago - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Grayson Suffers Season-Ending Eye Injury - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Canaries Add Right-Hander Ogren - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Glenn's Big Hit Gives Saltdogs 3-1 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Return Home for Nine Games - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Release OF Keury De La Cruz - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- 12 Runs in the Ninth Gives RedHawks a Devastating Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Close Game Turns Blowout as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.