Grayson Suffers Season-Ending Eye Injury
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Sioux Falls Canaries outfielder Chris Grayson suffered a season-ending injury during Tuesday night's game with the St. Paul Saints. Grayson was hit in the eye by a foul ball that flew into the Birds' dugout in the third inning, suffering multiple facial fractures. He took an ambulance to the University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis, where he is currently staying.
Grayon, who was out of the lineup Tuesday with an oblique strain, hit .281/.329/.435 with the Birds this season with eight home runs and 41 RBI. He was tied for the team lead with 20 doubles at the time of his injury.
"Chris is one of those guys that drives us; makes everyone feel good and happy," said Canaries manager Mike Meyer, who visited Grayson in the hospital following Tuesday's game. "He's the toughest kid I know, so I know he's going to be battling this. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on with his eye and get him ready for next season."
Grayson was moved to the disabled list ahead of Wednesday's game, where he will remain until the season ends on September 3. Relief pitcher Dimitri Kourtis was activated from the DL to fill Grayson's spot.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 22, 2018
- Dogs Strike out 14 in 4-0 Shutout of Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Offense Cleans up with Sweep of Canaries, Win 13-8 - St. Paul Saints
- Saltdogs Offense Falters in Rubber Match Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wichita Sweeps Goldeyes Behind Gillies, Homers - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Split Doubleheader with Saltdogs; Win Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Drop Series to Texas - Cleburne Railroaders
- Three Homers Not Enough in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Fan 14 Times in 4-0 Loss to Chicago - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Grayson Suffers Season-Ending Eye Injury - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Canaries Add Right-Hander Ogren - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Glenn's Big Hit Gives Saltdogs 3-1 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Return Home for Nine Games - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Release OF Keury De La Cruz - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- 12 Runs in the Ninth Gives RedHawks a Devastating Loss - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Close Game Turns Blowout as X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.