Giants Earn Fifth Straight Win with a 3-1 Home Victory over Kamloops
Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Giants winning streak has now reached five straight. Friday night in front of over 3100 strong at the Langley Events Centre, the Vancouver Giants (12-7-1-0) secured a 3-1 victory over the Kamloops Blazers (17-3-0-0). Jesper Vikman stopped 39 Kamloops shots en route to a first star performance while Zack Ostapchuk, Ethan Semeniuk and Payton Mount supplied the goals for Vancouver. The lone Kamloops goal came from Ethan Brandwood late in the third period. It marked the first win of the season for the G-Men against Kamloops and their sixth win on home ice.
VAN - Zack Ostapchuk opened the game's scoring at 18:50 of the first period. Alex Cotton took the puck from the point, raced wide down the left wing, and centered a feed across the crease to Ostapchuk, who one-timed it home for his fourth goal of the season.
Shots: 13 - 6 Kamloops
Shots: 14-10 Kamloops
VAN - Rookie Ethan Semeniuk extended the Giants lead to 2-0 at 4:50 of final frame. Semeniuk followed up a Ty Halaburda rebound and wired it past the stick of Dylan Garand. Julian Cull added the second assist on Semeniuk's third goal of the season.
KAM - The lone Kamloops Blazers goal of the night came from Ethan Brandwood at 14:51. Brandwood carried the puck across the Giants blueline and fired a high shot towards the Giants goal that deflected off Jesper Vikman's blocker and in. For Brandwood it was his fourth goal of the season and it was unassisted.
VAN - The Giants ended all hopes of a Kamloops comeback at 19:28 when Payton Mount beat out an icing call, and tucked his fifth goal of the season into the empty net, clinching the Giants their 12th win of the season. Fabian Lysell earned the lone assist.
Final Score: Vancouver 3 - Kamloops 1
Final Shots: 40 - 29 Kamloops
Jesper Vikman: 39/40 saves for Vancouver
Dylan Garand: 26/28 saves for Kamloops
Vancouver Power Play: 0/2
Kamloops Power Play: 0/4
1) Jesper Vikman (VAN - 39 Saves)
2) Logan Stankoven (KAM - 4 Shots)
3) Alex Cotton (VAN - 1 Assist)
Next Giants Game: Tomorrow night at 6:05 PM in Everett against the Silvertips.
- With the win the Vancouver Giants now have 25 points on the season, and are three points clear of the Kelowna Rockets for fourth in the Western Conference and second place in the B.C. Division.
- Jesper Vikman has now won four straight stars for the Giants and has stopped 139 of his past 146 shots faced for a save percentage of .952.
- Zack Ostapchuk has now registered three goals in his past two games.
- Fabian Lysell extended his point streak to five straight games thank to an assist on the empty-net goal. He now has four goals and five assists for nine points in the span of that streak.
- The Giants improved their home ice record to 6-4 thanks to Friday's victory.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2021
- Blades hand ICE first regulation loss at home - Winnipeg Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Fans Toss 15,324 Bears at ENMAX Teddy Bear Toss - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Take on Cougars for Fred Meyer Teddy Bear Toss Game - Tri-City Americans
- Gameday Preview - December 4 vs Brandon - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE Recall Mettimano - Winnipeg Ice
- Chiefs Host Seattle Thunderbirds in Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Spokane Chiefs
- Game 25 - Saskatoon at ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Road Trip Ends Tonight in Medicine Hat - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game #24 Preview: Blades at ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Reassign Young - Winnipeg Ice
- Cougars Use Power Play to Snap Skid - Prince George Cougars
- Game Day Hub: December 4 - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Slip Past T-Birds in Overtime - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Campbell Sends in the Hats in 8-2 Victory over Americans - Everett Silvertips
- Rebels Lacking in Intensity in Shutout Loss to Warriors - Red Deer Rebels
- Wheat Kings Win Thriller in Lethbridge - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Americans Fall to Top-Ranked Silvertips in Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Pats Host Broncos in CHL #LeaveYourMark Jerseys Design Game - Regina Pats
- Tigers Fall to Oil Kings 8-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Giants Earn Fifth Straight Win with a 3-1 Home Victory over Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Laroque Scores in OT to Defeat Thunderbirds - Victoria Royals
- ICE Edge Blades 4-3 - Winnipeg Ice
- Penalty Trouble Proves Costly for Chiefs in 4-2 Loss to Prince George - Spokane Chiefs
- Oil Kings Maul the Tigers - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Unger Backstops Warriors to Shutout Win in Red Deer - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Sanders Strikes Twice as Raiders Down Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Announce Postponement of January 22nd Home Game against Kelowna
- Giants Acquire Jacob Boucher and Two First-Round Picks from Edmonton for Justin Sourdif
- Giants Acquire a First-Round Draft Pick from Winnipeg for Tanner Brown
- Giants Acquire 2002-Born Defenceman Tom Cadieux from Regina for a Pair of Draft Picks
- Giants Announce Postponement of January 9th Home Game against Portland