Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones - April 23
Who: Orlando Solar Bears (Minnesota Wild/Toronto Maple Leafs)
(0-2, 4th Seed, Eastern Conference)
Cincinnati Cyclones (Florida Panthers/Nashville Predators)
(2-0, 5th Seed, Eastern Conference)
Where: U.S. Bank Arena - Cincinnati, OH
When: 7:35 p.m.
Listen Live: iHeartSolarBears.com, 740thegame.com, iheart.com/live/601/ - Pregame starts at 7:20 p.m.
Watch Live: America One
Follow: Game Updates on Twitter at @OSBHockeyGU
Social Media: Follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
The Solar Bears and Cyclones continue their first round ECHL Kelly Cup playoffs series tonight as the series shifts to Cincinnati. The Cyclones earned two straight wins over the Solar Bears at the Amway Center last week to take a 2-0 series back to home ice. After winning the opening game of the series on Thursday night, the Cyclones followed it up with a second straight victory in a back-and-forth game on Sunday. The Cyclones scored the lone first period goal, but D Blake Kessel evened up the scoring early in the second. Shortly thereafter, Cincinnati regained their lead when F Byron Froese scored twice in quick succession to move the score to 3-1. D Cody Wild brought the Solar Bears to within one with a one-timer from the point before the halfway point of the period, only to see F Wade Megan answer back with 2:08 left to send Cincinnati to the third period with a 4-2 lead. The Cyclones expanded their advantage to 5-2 early in the third and F Tyler Murovich closed the gap to 5-3 with less than five minutes to play, but Cincinnati picked up two empty net goals to secure the victory. The Cyclones were 17-14-3-2 at home this year while the Solar Bears were 19-15-0-2 on the road.
Solar Bears Notes:
F Mickey Lang was named the ECHL MVP last week after leading the league with 44 goals and 16 power play goals, becoming the first ECHL player to eclipse the 40 goal mark since Wes Goldie (Alaska Aces) during the 2010-11 season (46 goals). Lang was also named to the All-ECHL First Team earlier this month... The Solar Bears have outshot Cincinnati 69-61 over the first two games of the series. Orlando is fifth in the playoffs with 34.50 shots per game... Orlando leads the ECHL in playoff attendance... G John Curry is in the NHL with the Minnesota Wild... F Josh Caron is in the AHL with the Iowa Wild... G Christopher Gibson, G Garret Sparks, F Brad Ross, and D Dylan Yeo are in the AHL with the Toronto Marlies... F Trevor Gillies is in the AHL with Abbotsford Heat... G Tyler Beskorowany is in the AHL with the St. John's IceCaps... F Andrew Johnston is in the AHL with the Adirondack Phantoms.
The Cyclones have won the Kelly Cup twice (2008 and 2010) and advanced to the Eastern Conference Finals last season... F Wade Megan returned from the AHL to in time for Game One and leads all rookies with three playoff goals... Cincinnati has scored the first goal in both games... Game 4 is scheduled for Friday, April 25, at 7:35 p.m. on Friday in Cincinnati... The Cyclones are making their 9th overall appearance in the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 23, 2014
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Solar Bears Lose Nail-Biter 2-1 to Cincinnati - Orlando Solar Bears
- Froese's Late Strike Sends Cyclones Past Solar Bears, 2-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Win Game Three in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Berkstresser lifts Road Warriors past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condon Incredible Again in 1-0 Game Three Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Edge Stingrays 1-0 in Game 3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Altitude Sports & Entertainment To Broadcast Game 5 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Take Series Lead; Host Games Four and Five Thursday and Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - April 23 - ECHL
- Playoff Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Stockton Thunder - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Go for Playoff Sweep at Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Rejoin Utah in Bakersfield - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Playoff Game Preview: Stingrays Battle Nailers in Game 3 Tonight in Wheeling, West Virgini - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Playoff Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones - April 23 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Road Warriors vs. Wings Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers vs. Stingrays Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at Road Warrrios Game Three Eastern Conf. Quarters - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - April 23 - ECHL
- Condors Rally in OT Thriller; Bakersfield Takes 2-Games-To-1 Series Lead - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Shock Reign 5-2, Take 3-0 Series Lead - Stockton Thunder
- Bakersfield Beats Utah in Overtime to Take 2-1 Series Lead - Utah Grizzlies
- Reign Can't Counter Thunder Strikes and Fall 5-2 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.