Reign Can't Counter Thunder Strikes and Fall 5-2
ONTARIO, Calif. - The Ontario Reign (0-3-0), four-time Pacific Division Champions and proud affiliate of the NHL's Los Angeles Kings and Winnipeg Jets, suffered their third straight loss to the Stockton Thunder (3-0-0) by a final score of 5-2 at Citizens Business Bank Arena before 3,637 fans on Tuesday night.
Stockton struck on the power play at 13:08. Lee Baldwin took a shot from the left point which was rebounded and deflected to Alan Quine; he had an open net to knock the puck past J.P. Anderson giving the Thunder a 1-0 lead.
In the second period, Maxim Kitsyn lit the lamp for Ontario to tie the game at 4:16. Cody Sol ripped a shot from the blue line which rebounded to an incoming Kitsyn. The rookie forward fired the puck between the pipe and underneath Brian Foster's glove side. Stockton made their way into the Reign zone with a player in the penalty box serving a too many men on the ice penalty. Joey Martin was open to receive a pass and snapped the puck past Anderson at 16:11 for the first short-handed goal of the series.
With a cluster of players in front of the Thunder cage, Derek Couture skated around the net and poked the puck past Brian Foster in the third period at 13:56. The helpers went to the team's newest addition, Nick Jones, and Olivier Malka. At 15:37, Garet Hunt scored off a short rebound to give Stockton the 3-2 lead. With an empty Ontario net, Martin had a breakaway chance and scored for the Thunder to get ahead 4-2. Seconds later, Martin lit the lamp for the third time earning a Hat Trick, the second against the Reign this series for a final score of 5-3.
Anderson suffered the loss with 16 saves; Foster got the win with 41.
1. STK - Joey Martin
2. STK - Brian Foster
3. ONT - Maxim Kitsyn
Click here to view the box score.
If you have watched the Reign earned their fourth Pacific Division title, and fight for a top spot in the Western Conference, you won't want to miss a moment of their journey to the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Their next home game is Wednesday, Apr. 23 at 7 p.m. There are two playoff ticket specials offered this year - the Big Mac Pack (four tickets and four Big Macs for $79), and the Hat Trick Pack (two hats, two tickets, free parking for $49). For more information on these packs and other Reign playoff ticket offers visit ontarioreign.com or call 909.941.PUCK (7825) and find the best deal to meet your hockey needs!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 23, 2014
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Solar Bears Lose Nail-Biter 2-1 to Cincinnati - Orlando Solar Bears
- Froese's Late Strike Sends Cyclones Past Solar Bears, 2-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Win Game Three in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Berkstresser lifts Road Warriors past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condon Incredible Again in 1-0 Game Three Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Edge Stingrays 1-0 in Game 3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Altitude Sports & Entertainment To Broadcast Game 5 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Take Series Lead; Host Games Four and Five Thursday and Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - April 23 - ECHL
- Playoff Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Stockton Thunder - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Go for Playoff Sweep at Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Rejoin Utah in Bakersfield - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Playoff Game Preview: Stingrays Battle Nailers in Game 3 Tonight in Wheeling, West Virgini - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Playoff Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones - April 23 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Road Warriors vs. Wings Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers vs. Stingrays Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at Road Warrrios Game Three Eastern Conf. Quarters - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - April 23 - ECHL
- Condors Rally in OT Thriller; Bakersfield Takes 2-Games-To-1 Series Lead - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Shock Reign 5-2, Take 3-0 Series Lead - Stockton Thunder
- Bakersfield Beats Utah in Overtime to Take 2-1 Series Lead - Utah Grizzlies
- Reign Can't Counter Thunder Strikes and Fall 5-2 - Ontario Reign