Road Warriors Win Game Three in Overtime
Greenville, SC: Sean Berkstresser scored 1:59 into overtime on Wednesday night to give the Road Warriors a 2-1 series lead against the Kalamazoo Wings.
Both teams had early power plays in the game but were held off the score sheets during the man advantages. Greenville out chanced Kalamazoo but the Wings led in shots on goal 9-6 during the scoreless first period.
Marcc-Olivier Vallerand scored his second goal of the playoffs 5:11 into the second period with a wrist shot that blew past goaltender Joel Martin. The goal was assisted by Andrew Rowe and Andrew Himelson. After the goal, the game's physicality intensified and created big hits with a fast pace during the remainder of the period. The Road Warriors peppered Martin with 18 shots during the period. Jason Missiaen stopped 15 during the second frame to hold a 1-0 lead heading into the third period.
During the first stages of the third period, the Road Warriors were able to keep the Wings offense at bay. Kalamazoo, however, tied the game with under five minutes left in the third period. Nick Sirota scored after backing into Missiaen for his first of the playoffs. Matt Firman and Ryan Del Monte assisted on the goal which forced the sudden death overtime period.
After a quick opportunity just seconds into overtime, Kalamazoo was forced deep into their zone. Michael St. Croix drove a puck on net which a battle ensued. Berkstresser dug a loose puck into the net to end the game and give the Road Warriors a 2-1 win. It was the forward's first goal of the playoffs. Missiaen stopped 35 saves to earn his second playoff win.
The Road Warriors Drive to the Kelly Cup presented by the Greenville News returns Friday at 7 p.m. to the Bon Secours Wellness Arena for Game Four of the 2014 Kelly Cup Playoffs. BLEED BLUE! Rally towels will be given to the first 1,000 fans in attendance. The game can be heard live by clicking on the listen live link on the Road Warriors homepage or by watching via America One.
Single game tickets to the first round of the 2014 ECHL Playoffs are on sale now. The Road Warriors will take on the Kalamazoo Wings on Friday, April 25th and Saturday, April 26th. Puck drop for the Warriors home playoff games is 7 p.m. Group tickets for 15 or more people can be purchased for as low as $7! To learn more about group pricing, call a Road Warriors Ticket Account Representative at 864.674.PUCK!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 23, 2014
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Solar Bears Lose Nail-Biter 2-1 to Cincinnati - Orlando Solar Bears
- Froese's Late Strike Sends Cyclones Past Solar Bears, 2-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Win Game Three in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Berkstresser lifts Road Warriors past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condon Incredible Again in 1-0 Game Three Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Edge Stingrays 1-0 in Game 3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Altitude Sports & Entertainment To Broadcast Game 5 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Take Series Lead; Host Games Four and Five Thursday and Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - April 23 - ECHL
- Playoff Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Stockton Thunder - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Go for Playoff Sweep at Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Rejoin Utah in Bakersfield - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Playoff Game Preview: Stingrays Battle Nailers in Game 3 Tonight in Wheeling, West Virgini - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Playoff Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones - April 23 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Road Warriors vs. Wings Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers vs. Stingrays Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at Road Warrrios Game Three Eastern Conf. Quarters - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - April 23 - ECHL
- Condors Rally in OT Thriller; Bakersfield Takes 2-Games-To-1 Series Lead - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Shock Reign 5-2, Take 3-0 Series Lead - Stockton Thunder
- Bakersfield Beats Utah in Overtime to Take 2-1 Series Lead - Utah Grizzlies
- Reign Can't Counter Thunder Strikes and Fall 5-2 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Swamp Rabbits Align with Florida Panthers, Remain Partnered with Charlotte Checkers
- Dynamic Forward Liam Pecararo Rejoins for '20-21
- Swamp Rabbits Ink Goaltender John Lethemon
- Greenville Battles South Carolina Stingrays in Lone Exhibition Tilt