Solar Bears Lose Nail-Biter 2-1 to Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH - F Mickey Lang knotted the game at 1-1 late in the third, but the Cyclones struck back before the end of the regulation to take a 2-1 victory over the Solar Bears at the US Bank Arena on Wednesday night.
Cincinnati came out firing in the first period, but G Maxime Clermont turned away all 15 shots he faced to keep the game scoreless going into the second period. Cincinnati eventually found a way to break through in the middle frame. D Mike Dalhuisen blasted the puck from the left point and F Jonathan Hazen redirected a shot from the top of the goal crease at 8:46 to give the Cyclones a 1-0. The Solar Bears made a strong push to tie the game with a late period power play, but G Rob Madore stood strong to hold the 1-0 Cincinnati lead heading into the third.
Lang tied the game for Orlando with 6:40 remaining in the third. F Jacob Cepis forced the puck free with a tenacious forechecking effort and F Mike Ullrich scooped up the loose puck. Ullrich then moved a pass to Lang at the top of the crease and he one-timed the puck past Madore to even the score at 1-1. The Cyclones found the game-winner with just 3:25 left to play, as F Byron Froese stole the puck in the attacking end and quickly fired a shot under the bar to give Cincinnati the 2-1 victory.
Three Stars: 1. B. Froese (CIN); 2. R. Madore (CIN); 3. M. Lang (ORL)
Power Plays: ORL: 0/3; CIN: 0/2
Shots: ORL: 24; CIN: 30
D Evan Renwick made his professional playoff debut tonight... F Scott Tanski made his Solar Bears playoff debut... The Cyclones now lead the series 3-0 over Orlando... G Maxime Clermont stopped 28 of the 30 shots he faced in the game... The two power play surrendered by Orlando were the most they have given up in single game this post-season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 23, 2014
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Solar Bears Lose Nail-Biter 2-1 to Cincinnati - Orlando Solar Bears
- Froese's Late Strike Sends Cyclones Past Solar Bears, 2-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Win Game Three in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Berkstresser lifts Road Warriors past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condon Incredible Again in 1-0 Game Three Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Edge Stingrays 1-0 in Game 3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Altitude Sports & Entertainment To Broadcast Game 5 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Take Series Lead; Host Games Four and Five Thursday and Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - April 23 - ECHL
- Playoff Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Stockton Thunder - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Go for Playoff Sweep at Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Rejoin Utah in Bakersfield - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Playoff Game Preview: Stingrays Battle Nailers in Game 3 Tonight in Wheeling, West Virgini - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Playoff Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones - April 23 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Road Warriors vs. Wings Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers vs. Stingrays Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at Road Warrrios Game Three Eastern Conf. Quarters - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - April 23 - ECHL
- Condors Rally in OT Thriller; Bakersfield Takes 2-Games-To-1 Series Lead - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Shock Reign 5-2, Take 3-0 Series Lead - Stockton Thunder
- Bakersfield Beats Utah in Overtime to Take 2-1 Series Lead - Utah Grizzlies
- Reign Can't Counter Thunder Strikes and Fall 5-2 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.