Berkstresser lifts Road Warriors past K-Wings in overtime
Greenville, SC - After losing a late third period lead, the Greenville Road Warriors responded with an overtime tally from Sean Berstresser (1st) to take game three over the Kalamazoo Wings 2-1, as well as a two games to one lead in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference Quarterfinals matchup.
For the third straight game, neither team scored in the opening 20 minutes. In the first two games of the series, the Road Warriors struck first and forward Marc-Olivier Vallerand played a part in each of those goals.
Wednesday night would be no different for Vallerand (2nd), who created a turnover in the natural zone and recorded his team-leading fourth point (2 goals, 2assists) of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals with an unassisted marker 5:11 into the second period.
Battling in front the net 15:37 in to the third period, Nick Sirota (1st) redirected the equalizer off of a Matt Firman wrist shot to force overtime.
Greenville ended the extra session quickly with a goal from Berkstresser (1st), who forced a his own rebound over the goal line 1:59 into the extra session.
The Eastern Conference Quarterfinals continues to be a goaltending exhibition. Joel Martin (1-1) kept the K-Wings in the game with 36 saves, while Jason Missiaen (2-1) made 35 saves in the victory.
Kalamazoo and Greenville will continue their Eastern Conference Quarterfinals matchup with game four of the best-of-seven series this Friday, April 25th with a 7 p.m. encounter at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
The K-Wings will return to Wings Stadium for game six of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, if necessary, with a 7 p.m. face-off on Tuesday, April 29th.
Tickets for all K-Wings home playoff games are currently on sale at the Wings Stadium Ticket Office, all Ticketmaster locations, including www.ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 745-3000. Ticket office hours are Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturdays.
Regular pricing for all other K-Wings Pepsi Playoff games are $17 and $20 for adults and only $8 for children 12 and under. Also, courtesy of Pepsi, the team is offering special $10 tickets for groups of 15 or more throughout the playoffs.
Group ticket packages for the playoffs may be ordered through the K-Wings Sales office by calling (269) 743-6011.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 23, 2014
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Solar Bears Lose Nail-Biter 2-1 to Cincinnati - Orlando Solar Bears
- Froese's Late Strike Sends Cyclones Past Solar Bears, 2-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Win Game Three in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Berkstresser lifts Road Warriors past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condon Incredible Again in 1-0 Game Three Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Edge Stingrays 1-0 in Game 3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Altitude Sports & Entertainment To Broadcast Game 5 - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Take Series Lead; Host Games Four and Five Thursday and Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - April 23 - ECHL
- Playoff Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Stockton Thunder - Ontario Reign
- Thunder Go for Playoff Sweep at Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Goaltender Igor Bobkov to Rejoin Utah in Bakersfield - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Playoff Game Preview: Stingrays Battle Nailers in Game 3 Tonight in Wheeling, West Virgini - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Playoff Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Orlando - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones - April 23 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Road Warriors vs. Wings Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers vs. Stingrays Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at Road Warrrios Game Three Eastern Conf. Quarters - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - April 23 - ECHL
- Condors Rally in OT Thriller; Bakersfield Takes 2-Games-To-1 Series Lead - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Shock Reign 5-2, Take 3-0 Series Lead - Stockton Thunder
- Bakersfield Beats Utah in Overtime to Take 2-1 Series Lead - Utah Grizzlies
- Reign Can't Counter Thunder Strikes and Fall 5-2 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.