Game Notes vs. Altoona July 12
ERIE SEAWOLVES (41-46, 5th PLACE WEST, 9.0 GB) VS. ALTOONA CURVE (45-39, 2nd PLACE WEST, 3.5 GB)
LHP LIARVIS BRETO (2-1, 1.80 ERA) vs. RHP EDUARDO VERA (1-3, 5.91 ERA)
THURSDAY, JULY 12* 7:05 PM * BROADCAST: FOX SPORTS RADIO 1330 AM, SEAWOLVES.COM, MILB.TV
UPMC PARK * GAME #88 * HOME GAME #44 * NIGHT GAME #63
The Erie SeaWolves return to UPMC Park after the All-Star break to start a five game series with the Altoona Curve (Pittsburgh Pirates) in four days....The SeaWolves snapped a series winning streak after winning three in a row...Kyle Funkhouser allowed five runs on 3.1 IP and struck out six in his second-shortest outing of the season...Josh Thole smacked in three RBIs in his first multi-RBI game of the season for the SeaWolves....Will Maddox now has 19 multi-hit games on the season after nailing a pair of hits in the loss...The SeaWolves ended their season series with the Rumble Ponies losing 12 of the 17 games played against them...Erie is 5.5 games out of a playoff spot and nine games behind first place Akron...Two of the SeaWolves starters were promoted to AAA Toledo over the break in LHP Matt Hall and RHP Kyle Funkhouser....Erie took two of three games against the Altoona Curve during Altoona's last trip to UPMC Park...Liarvis Breto returns to the bump today for his fourth start on the season....The lefty received his first AA loss in his last start against Binghamton, despite not allowing an earned run and striking out eight batters...Breto worked in relief in his only outing against the Curve and hurled a scoreless 1.1 inning...Eduardo Vera will make his second start against Erie...The righty lost at UPMC Park after allowing six runs in 5.0 on June 24.
-This is the 12th of 21 meetings between Altoona and Erie. The Curve lead 6-5.
- The SeaWolves are third in the league with a 3.64 team ERA. Altoona is 5th with a 3.82 ERA.
- Erie catchers have combined to throw out 41 of 80 potential base stealers. Jake Rogers leads the league (31-for-55), throwing out potential base stealers 56.4% of the time.
- The SeaWolves have held a lead in 69 of 86 games played this season.
- The SeaWolves are second with a .259 batting average. Altoona is tied for sixth with a .252 AVG.
- The SeaWolves have hit 50 home runs which is the fewest in the league. Altoona has hit 57.
- Erie batters have struck out 797 times this season which is the highest strikeout total in the league.
- Erie pitchers have struck out 756 hitters which is second in the league behind Trenton.
- The SeaWolves are 15-20 against the Western Division and 26-26 against the Eastern Division.
-Before promotion, Jacob Robson led the team with a .286 average, 46 runs and 11 stolen bases.
-Jake Rogers leads the team in HR with 9, while Ficociello holds the RBI lead at 45.
-The SeaWolves are 11-32 in games where the opponent scores first and 13-17 in one run games.
-The SeaWolves are 23-20 in games played away from UPMC Park this season, while only being 18-25 at home.
-Daz Cameron has hit safely in 15 of his first 20 games played at the AA level for Erie.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Early Lead Fizzles in 'Cats Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Stun Fightin Phils with Six in the Ninth - Reading Fightin Phils
- Errors Send Erie off the Rails in 10-2 Loss - Erie SeaWolves
- Chavis Homers in Sea Dogs 5-4 Win over New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Win on Walk-Off Wild Pitch - Trenton Thunder
- Walk-Off Wild Pitch Sinks Squirrels - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Epic Comeback Sends Baysox to Thrilling 7-5 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Collier's Amazing Catch Clinches 4-3 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- RubberDucks Stop Binghamton, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Ducks Start Strong, Paddle Past Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Zach Collier Saves Night for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Caldwell, Zehner Rejoin Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #88 - Rumble Ponies (43-44) at RubberDucks (51-38) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Game Notes vs. Altoona July 12 - Erie SeaWolves
- July 12-July 18 Senators Homestand Preview - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 12th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Return Home Tonight to UPMC Park - Erie SeaWolves
- West Wins All-Star Classic on Special Swing-Off - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.