West Wins All-Star Classic on Special Swing-Off
Following a game that ended after nine innings, tied at 4-4, a special points-based "swing-off" decided the winner of Wednesday night's Eastern League All-Star Classic in front of a crowd of 8,296, the ninth-largest crowd in the history of ARM & HAMMER Park.
A head-to-head hitting competition between Will Craig of the Altoona Curve and Zach Green of the Reading Fightin Phils saw Craig's point total of 305 exceed Green's 275, giving the Western Division the victory.
The Eastern Division had jumped out to an early lead in the game, getting a two-run homer in the second inning from Jan Hernandez (Reading) off Erie right-hander Beau Burrows. In the fourth, Deivi Grullon added to the East's lead with a solo home run to right-center, just 24 hours after his triumph in the Case's Pork Roll Home Run Derby on Tuesday night.
After having retired the first 13 West batters of the game, the East finally allowed its first baserunner on a walk issued by Reading right-hander Edgar Garcia with one out in the fifth. Four consecutive hits followed, including back-to-back RBI-singles by Connor Marabell (Akron) and Ke'Bryan Hayes (Altoona). Marabell later came around to score from third on a wild pitch by Daniel Zamora (Binghamton), tying the game at 3-3.
In the eighth inning, Luigi Rodriguez (Richmond) stepped to the plate and hit a go-ahead solo home run to left-center off reliever Caleb Frare (Trenton) to give the West its first lead of the game. The East, however, scrapped for a run in the bottom of the ninth, as Binghamton's Patrick Mazeika led off the with an infield single to put the tying run aboard, then scored on a two-out double to left field by Trey Amburgey (Trenton) off right-hander Derek Self (Harrisburg).
After the game, a group of 881 fans set a new Guinness world record for most people blowing bubblegum bubbles simultaneously in one location, as part of an effort to raise awareness for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
Your Thunder return to action Thursday at 7 p.m. against the Richmond Flying Squirrels at ARM & HAMMER Park. RHP Brian Keller (6-6, 4.24) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Jake McCasland (2-2, 3.58) will go for Richmond. Tickets are available online at TrentonThunder.com, or by calling 609-394-3300.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Early Lead Fizzles in 'Cats Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Stun Fightin Phils with Six in the Ninth - Reading Fightin Phils
- Errors Send Erie off the Rails in 10-2 Loss - Erie SeaWolves
- Chavis Homers in Sea Dogs 5-4 Win over New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Win on Walk-Off Wild Pitch - Trenton Thunder
- Walk-Off Wild Pitch Sinks Squirrels - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Epic Comeback Sends Baysox to Thrilling 7-5 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Collier's Amazing Catch Clinches 4-3 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- RubberDucks Stop Binghamton, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Ducks Start Strong, Paddle Past Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Zach Collier Saves Night for Senators - Hartford Yard Goats
- Caldwell, Zehner Rejoin Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #88 - Rumble Ponies (43-44) at RubberDucks (51-38) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Game Notes vs. Altoona July 12 - Erie SeaWolves
- July 12-July 18 Senators Homestand Preview - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 12th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Return Home Tonight to UPMC Park - Erie SeaWolves
- West Wins All-Star Classic on Special Swing-Off - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Gift of Baseball Program Returns to Benefit Area Non-Profits
- Thunder Pork Roll Return to the Field for 2019 Season
- Mini Plans on Sale Now
- Bernie Williams, Baby Bombers, Bat Boy Tommy and Bat Dog Rookie Highlight 2019 Bobblehead Giveaways
- 2019 Season to Feature 22 Fireworks Shows at ARM & HAMMER Park