Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (27-36) at Louisville Bats (25-39)
Game 65, Home 32
Pawtucket Red Sox (27-36) at Louisville Bats (25-39)
RHP Vladimir Gutierrez (2-5, 7.32) vs. RHP Ryan Weber (1-1, 5.04)
12:00 PM | Wednesday, June 12, 2019 | Louisville Slugger Field
LISTEN: Nick Curran& Jim Kelch, 790 KRD; iHeartRadio.com; iHeart app
TODAY'S GAME:The Bats and PawSox continue their three-game series with a Wednesday noon clash at Louisville Slugger Field, the middle game in the clubs' only meeting in Louisville this season. The Bats have fared pretty well in day games this season, owning an even .500 clip with a 9-9 record in 18 day games in 2019. Right-hander Vladimir Gutierrez looks to continue his recent trend of solid outings, tossing a quality start in 4 of his last 6 starts.
AGAINST PAWTUCKET:With the Red Sox Triple-A affiliate taking Tuesday night's series opener by a 3-2 score, the PawSox have evened the all-time series at 91 games apiece. The loss also dropped Louisville to 40-35 against Pawtucket at Louisville Slugger Field, but just 3-7 in their last 10 games against them at LSF.
ARISTIDES A-QUINCE:Right fielder Aristides Aquino went 2-for-4 last night, extending his team-best hitting streak to 15 games. The streak, which began on May 23, is the longest streak for a Bat since Nick Senzel's 18-game hitting streak from June 9, 2018 - April 30, 2019. It's the longest Bats hitting streak in a single season since Hernan Iribarren's 16-gamer, which lasted from July 2-21, 2016. During the streak, Aquino is batting .356 (21-for-59) with a double, 4 home runs, 8 RBI and 3 walks, with a .397 on-base percentage and an OPS of .973.
100TH DOUBLE:Center fielder Phillip Ervin also went 2-for-4 on Tuesday, chipping in a double and 2 RBI. His two-bagger was the 100th double for Louisville as a team this season, about a week behind pace from last season in that category. In 2018, LOU hit its 100th double of the season on June 5, also against Pawtucket, when Chadwick Tromp doubled at McCoy Stadium in the fourth inning of a 7-4 win.
-While LOU might be behind pace from 2018 in doubles this season, they are on pace to shatter their home run total from last year (113), currently on pace to hit approximately 164 home runs at their current 1.17 homers/game clip.
OUT-HIT BUT LOST LEAD IN ONE-RUN GAME:For the 21st time this season, Louisville dropped a game in which it led at one point, accounting for over half (53.8%) of the club's 39 losses this season. LOU also lost despite out-hitting Pawtucket 10-9, falling to 17-11 this season when out-hitting their opponent. The Bats fell to 7-15 (.318) in one-run contests this year, ranking higher than only Norfolk's 4-11 (.267) mark in games decided by one run.
CAN'T SPELL GRATEROL WITHOUT 'GREAT':Catcher Juan Graterol has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, hitting .273 (9-for-33) since May 31 with 7 RBI, ranking second on the club to only Nick Longhi's 8 RBI. He has started 38 games behind the dish this year, accounting for 59% of Louisville's 64 games this season. If he kept up the pace through the end of 2019, that percentage would be the highest since Devin Mesoraco started at catcher in 67% (97 of 144) of Louisville's games in 2011.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Trio of Homers Push RailRiders to Five Wins in a Row - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Clippers Cool off Wings 3-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Survive Crazy Finish, Beat Mets 7-6 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett Falls to Lehigh Valley on Walk-Off Single, 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short in 7-6 Loss to Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Castillo walk off hooks Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Solak Powers Bulls Past Mud Hens - Durham Bulls
- Candelario Returns for Rehab in Rain - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tucker Taking Option to Indianapolis in Stride - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Offense Explodes for 14-6 Win in Indy - Buffalo Bisons
- Brito, Bisons Stampede Tribe Behind Six-Run Sixth - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeat PawSox, 10-8 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Tops PawSox, 10-8, to Even Series - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs to Play as 'Jawn' on July 7 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bichette Likely to Return to Bisons Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-27) vs. Buffalo Bisons (28-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (1:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Williams Set for Rehab Start with Indy on Thursday, June 13 - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (27-36) at Louisville Bats (25-39) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Stephenson, Aquino Surge for Cincinnati
- Bats Nominated for MiLB's Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- Tejay Antone Named International League Pitcher of the Week
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80)