SWB Game Notes
SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE RAILRIDERS (37-25) @ NORFOLK TIDES (26-36)
RHP Tyler Herb (4-3, 4.09) vs. RHP Randall Delgado (0-2, 5.63)
| Game No. 63 | Harbor Park | Norfolk, VA | June 12, 2019 | First Pitch 7:05 p.m. |
NORFOLK, VA (June 11, 2019) -- The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre beat the Norfolk Tides 4-1 on Tuesday night at Harbor Park. Drew Hutchison posted his third straight quality start as the RailRiders captured the series opener against the Tides.
The RailRiders opened the scoring against Tides starter Chandler Shepherd in the first, forcing the right-hander to throw 41 pitches. Shepherd allowed a leadoff single to Breyvic Valera and walked Mike Ford and Mike Tauchman to load the bases before walking Tyler Wade as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre strolled ahead 1-0.
In the third with one on, Kyle Higashioka drove the first pitch of his at bat off the videoboard in right-center for a 3-1 edge. It was Higashioka's ninth of the season and second in his last two games.
Norfolk ended Drew Hutchison's no-hit bid and shutout in the fourth. Hutchison didn't allow a hit over the first three and a third but surrendered three straight hits and a sac fly as the Tides cut the deficit to 3-1. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre added a run on a single, a walk and a wild pitch in the top of the fifth. Hutchison (5-4) worked six innings, allowing the lone run on four hits with five strikeouts and three walks. Rex Brothers pitched a scoreless seventh and J.P. Feyereisen was perfect over the final two frames for his fourth save, striking out four of the six batters he faced. Brothers and Feyereisen combined to retire the final nine batters they faced to cap the game.
HIGH-WATER MARK: The RailRiders knocked off the Norfolk Tides 4-1 Tuesday night to improve to 37-25 (.597) and are percentage points ahead of the Durham Bulls (38-26, .594) for the best record in the league. The 2017 RailRiders finished 86-55 (.610) but they didn't get themselves to 12 games over .500 until June 14th when they improved to 37-25.
A QUICK RISE: The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (.278 AVG) enter Wednesday's game against Norfolk with the second-best batting average in the International League, trailing Durham Bulls (.280 AVG) by just two points. The RailRiders can put out a lineup that features five players who have played over 20G with SWB this season and are batting over .290: Breyvic Valera (26G, .429 AVG), Mike Ford (41G, .340 AVG), Ryan McBroom (53G, .323 AVG), Mike Tauchman (22G, .296 AVG), Brad Miller (41G, .294 AVG). For McBroom, Tauchman and Miller it has been a product of a recent hot stretch that has bumped the average to where it is now. McBroom has batted .448 over his last 18G, Tacuhman is 7-for-10 in his last 3G and Miller is 8-for-12 in the last 4G in which he's played.
A FRIENDLY FACE: Sunday, Erik Kratz was crouched behind the plate for Game 1 of the doubleheader against the Syracuse Mets. He was signed by the New York Yankees in conjunction with Ryan Lavarnway's injury Saturday night, marking the third organization he's played for this year (San Francisco Giants; Tampa Bay Rays). A year ago, Kratz appeared in 17G for the RailRiders and batted .269 with 4 HR in 52 AB before being traded to the Milwaukee Brewers as they dealt with injuries at the big league level.
RAILREHABBERS: With six games over a span of a week-plus for SWB, INF Didi Gregorius joined OF Aaron Hicks on the list of Yankees rehabbers for the RailRiders this season. He went 1-for-21 in the first five games in which he has played before going 2-for-4 in the last game he suited up. It has been reported by Tom Verducci on MLB Network that both OF Giancarlo Stanton and OF Aaron Judge will be in the lineup for the RailRiders at some point this weekend down at Durham Bulls Atheltic Park. A year ago, SWB had 10 different Yankees play games with them: Greg Bird (INF), A.J. Cole (P), Brandon Drury (INF), Clint Frazier (OF), Aaron Hicks (OF), Tommy Kahnle (P), Billy McKinney (OF), Gary Sanchez (C), Masahiro Tanaka (P), Adam Warren (P). In his two games with SWB before returning to New York, Hicks was 3-for-7 with 2 2B, HR, RBI, 4 R, BB, 1-for-1 SB.
ALL (GOOD?) THINGS COME TO AN END: The RailRiders hit the weekend with a series against the Mets wrapping up a gauntlet stretch of games, finishing 15-7 in 22 games over 20 days. The team went from being 1.5 games out of first place when the stretch began, to holding a 5.5-game lead over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs following the past weekend. Following the day-off May 20th, the RailRiders began a stretch on the 21st against the Pawtucket Red Sox that featured 23 games over 20 days before their next scheduled off day with all 23 games having come against each of their five IL North Division rivals. They are currently 13-7 on this run of games heading into the final game of the stretch, with one game against Rochester postponed until July 5th due to weather.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Trio of Homers Push RailRiders to Five Wins in a Row - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Clippers Cool off Wings 3-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Survive Crazy Finish, Beat Mets 7-6 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett Falls to Lehigh Valley on Walk-Off Single, 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short in 7-6 Loss to Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Castillo walk off hooks Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Solak Powers Bulls Past Mud Hens - Durham Bulls
- Candelario Returns for Rehab in Rain - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tucker Taking Option to Indianapolis in Stride - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Offense Explodes for 14-6 Win in Indy - Buffalo Bisons
- Brito, Bisons Stampede Tribe Behind Six-Run Sixth - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeat PawSox, 10-8 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Tops PawSox, 10-8, to Even Series - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs to Play as 'Jawn' on July 7 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bichette Likely to Return to Bisons Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-27) vs. Buffalo Bisons (28-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (1:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Williams Set for Rehab Start with Indy on Thursday, June 13 - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (27-36) at Louisville Bats (25-39) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.