Gwinnett Falls to Lehigh Valley on Walk-Off Single, 3-2
ALLENTOWN, PA. - Ali Castillo ripped a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the ninth as the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (32-30) edged the Gwinnett Stripers (35-29) 3-2 Wednesday night in the second of the three-game series at Coca-Cola Park.
Scoring Recap: A two-RBI double by Travis Demeritte in the top of the fifth gave the Stripers a 2-0 lead. However, the IronPigs got a sac fly in the bottom of the seventh from Damek Tomscha to cut the lead to 2-1. An RBI double in the bottom of the eighth by Andrew Romine tied the game at 2-2. In the bottom of the ninth, after former Gwinnett Striper Lane Adams doubled off the left field wall, Castillo delivered the winning hit.
Stripers Stats: Kolby Allard worked 7.0 innings, yielded one run and struck out five. Shane Carle (L, 3-1) took the loss after he gave up the tying run in the eighth and the winning run in the ninth. At the plate, Demeritte was 1-for-4 with two RBIs and a double.
Iron Pigs Stats: Alexis Rivero (W, 2-1) pitched a scoreless top of the ninth to get the win. Drew Anderson started and went 5.0 innings with two earned runs and six strikeouts. Offensively, Castillo, Romine and Deivy Grullon were each 2-for-4.
Postgame Notes: The Stripers have now lost four straight and fall to 3.5 games behind first-place Durham in the International League South.
Next Game (Thursday, June 13): Gwinnett at Lehigh Valley, 7:05 p.m. at Coca-Cola Park. RHP Patrick Weigel (0-0, 3.12 ERA) will pitch for the Stripers vs. RHP Tyler Viza for the IronPigs. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Trio of Homers Push RailRiders to Five Wins in a Row - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Clippers Cool off Wings 3-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Survive Crazy Finish, Beat Mets 7-6 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett Falls to Lehigh Valley on Walk-Off Single, 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short in 7-6 Loss to Knights - Syracuse Mets
- Castillo walk off hooks Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Solak Powers Bulls Past Mud Hens - Durham Bulls
- Candelario Returns for Rehab in Rain - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tucker Taking Option to Indianapolis in Stride - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Offense Explodes for 14-6 Win in Indy - Buffalo Bisons
- Brito, Bisons Stampede Tribe Behind Six-Run Sixth - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Defeat PawSox, 10-8 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Tops PawSox, 10-8, to Even Series - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs to Play as 'Jawn' on July 7 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bichette Likely to Return to Bisons Thursday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-27) vs. Buffalo Bisons (28-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (1:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Williams Set for Rehab Start with Indy on Thursday, June 13 - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (27-36) at Louisville Bats (25-39) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.