Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-45) at Charlotte Knights (39-33)
Doubleheader: Games74/75, Away 38/39
Louisville Bats (28-45) at Charlotte Knights (39-33)
G1: RHP Keury Mella (4-6, 4.94) vs. LHP Justin Nicolino (4-3, 4.75)
G2: TBA vs. TBA
1:05 PM/7:04 PM | Saturday, June 22, 2019 | BB&T Ballpark
LISTEN: Nick Curran, 790 KRD; iHeartRadio.com; iHeart app
SATURDAY DOUBLEHEADER:Louisville and Charlotte are scheduled to play a day-night doubleheader at BB&T Ballpark on Saturday before an off day Sunday, with the Bats finishing off their only three-city road trip of the season on Monday and Tuesday at Indianapolis. Right-hander Keury Mella will start game one for the Bats, hoping to even the series after last night's 9-6 loss.
AGAINST CHARLOTTE:The Bats and Knights will square off for their final matchup(s) of the season today,with Louisville hoping to tie the season series with a doubleheader sweep today. Saturday also marks the final road game against the IL South that Louisville will play in 2019, with 3 home games vs. Gwinnett in July being their final series against the South Division overall this year.
CRUEL SUMMER: On the first day of summer, Louisville dropped Friday night's game by a 9-6 score despite leading 6-5 after 8 innings. With the lost lead, the Bats have now held a lead in each of their last 17 games, 12 losses, and 13 of their 14 losses in the month. The only game in June where LOU did not hold a lead at any point was on June 2, an 11-5 loss at Norfolk.
YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW WHEN TO HOLD 'EM: Louisville relievers Joel Kuhnel and R.J. Alaniz each recorded holds in Friday's game, bringing the Bats' team total to 35 on the season, ranking most in the IL. Indianapolis' 34 holds currently rank second behind the Bats for most in the league.
KUHNEL MAKES TRIPLE-A DEBUT: Right-hander Joel Kuhnel pitched the seventh inning last night, giving up an earned run on 2 hits while walking and striking out one. The 24-year-old is the 10th different player to make his Triple-A debut for the Bats this season, with OF Jose Siri most recently doing it on June 18 at Gwinnett. Kuhnel is the third pitcher to do it, joining RHPs Vladimir Gutierrez and Alex Powers.
WALK-OFF GRAND SLAM: Charlotte's Alcides Escobar hit a walk-off grand slam to end Friday's game, with all 3 of Louisville's most recent walk-off losses coming via the home run. Last night was the first time LOU lost on a walk-off grand slam since Alen Hanson did it for Indianapolis on August 15, 2016.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 22, 2019
- IronPigs hit five homers in 13-1 win over Columbus - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Zeuch Shines in Debut as Bisons Win 3-0 over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Late Home Run Downs Tribe and Spoils McRae's Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Sweep Doubleheader over Bats - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Continues Dominance with 3 Homers in Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Wings Blanked in Toledo Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Ryan McBroom homers to secure win for Vejigantes Saturday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mud Hens Win Battle of the Bump - Toledo Mud Hens
- Stripers' Trio Shuts out Syracuse 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Brentz's Blast Lifts PawSox to Win over Indians - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Offense Quieted in 2-0 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- RHP T.J. Zeuch to Make Triple-A Debut for the Bisons Saturday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-45) at Charlotte Knights (39-33) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-33) at Pawtucket Red Sox (30-42) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Bats Fall 6-2 as Clippers Clinch Division Title
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-75) at Columbus Clippers (74-54)
- Colon Homers in 5-2 Loss
- Bats to Host Peanut Allergy Awareness Day on Sunday, August 25
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-74) at Columbus Clippers (73-54)