Ryan McBroom homers to secure win for Vejigantes Saturday
MOOSIC, Pa. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Vejigantes defeated the Durham Bulls 4-3 in a neck-and-neck game Saturday night at PNC Field. With the score dead-locked three in the bottom eighth, Ryan McBroom homered to push the RailRiders, playing as their Copa de la Diversión alternate identity, ahead over Durham for good.
Spot starter Stephen Tarpley held the Bulls in check over three complete innings. The left-hander struck out five and walked one without allowing a hit.
Trey Amburgey began the third with a line drive single. Gosuke Katoh's sacrifice bunt moved Amburgey to second base, followed by a walk by Thairo Estrada to put runners at first and second. Breyvic Valera grounded up the middle and Estrada was forced out at second base. As Bulls second baseman Nick Solak threw to first to try and complete the double play on Valera, the throw got away and allowed Amburgey to score and put the Vejigantes on the board first, 1-0, off Durham starter Brendan McKay.
In the top of the fourth, Durham took the lead when Solak homered on a fly ball to center, plating a pair for a 2-1 lead.
The Bulls threatened again in the fifth when Jake Cronenworth tripled off Adonis Rosa to start the frame. The Vejigantes escaped the inning with an infield groundout, a fielder's choice that led to a rundown eliminating Cronenworth and a pickoff of Solak to end the inning.
Mike Tauchman smashed a leadoff triple to right in the bottom of the sixth. A wild pitch by reliever Casey Sadler gave allowed Tauchman to score and tie the game at two. With two down, Logan Morrison hit a thundering homer to center, his third straight game with a home run, to push the Vejigantes ahead 3-2.
In the seventh, McCarthy hit a leadoff triple for the Bulls. Jason Coats doubled on a fly ball to left field and McCarthy scored, tying the game at 3-3.
The score remained even until two down in the bottom of the eighth inning when McBroom smashed the eventual winning home run for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. It was McBroom's 16thof the season and produced his 35thrun batted in.
In the ninth, Danny Coulombe struck out Michael Perez, walked McCarthy, struck out Coats and walked Velazquez. With the tying run at second and the go-ahead run on at first, Coulombe struck out Cronenworth looking to end the game.
Coulombe (2-0) notched the win while Sadler (1-1) took the loss. McBroom and Scranton native McCarthy had multi-hit games for the Vejigantes and Bulls, respectively. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Durham conclude this set Sunday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 22, 2019
- IronPigs hit five homers in 13-1 win over Columbus - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Zeuch Shines in Debut as Bisons Win 3-0 over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Late Home Run Downs Tribe and Spoils McRae's Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Sweep Doubleheader over Bats - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Continues Dominance with 3 Homers in Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Wings Blanked in Toledo Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Ryan McBroom homers to secure win for Vejigantes Saturday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mud Hens Win Battle of the Bump - Toledo Mud Hens
- Stripers' Trio Shuts out Syracuse 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Brentz's Blast Lifts PawSox to Win over Indians - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Offense Quieted in 2-0 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- RHP T.J. Zeuch to Make Triple-A Debut for the Bisons Saturday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-45) at Charlotte Knights (39-33) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-33) at Pawtucket Red Sox (30-42) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- King matches career-high with 11 strikeouts as RailRiders fan 16 Red Sox
- SWB Game Notes
- Breyvic Valera delivers the heroics for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with game-winning homer
- SWB Game Notes
- RailRiders Announce 2020 Schedule