Stripers' Trio Shuts out Syracuse 2-0
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Bryse Wilson, Sean Newcomb, and Wes Parsons combined on a seven-hit shutout as the Gwinnett Stripers (40-33) defeated the Syracuse Mets (36-38) 2-0 on Saturday night at Coolray Field. Andres Blanco broke a scoreless tie in the sixth with a solo home run.
Scoring Recap: In the sixth, Blanco (11) crushed a 387-foot solo homer to right off Ervin Santana to put Gwinnett up 1-0. Rafael Ortega made it 2-0 Stripers in the eighth with a pinch-hit RBI double scoring Blanco.
Stripers Stats: Wilson (W, 4-6) allowed five hits over 6.0 innings, walked two and struck out seven for his first win since May 26. Newcomb (H, 1), pitching on a rehab assignment for the Atlanta Braves, tossed 2.0 one-hit innings and struck out five. Parsons (S, 2) yielded a hit and struck out two in the ninth. Offensively, Blanco went 2-for-3 with a homer and scored twice.
Mets Stats: Santana (L, 0-1) took the loss despite tossing 6.0 innings of one-run ball. Gregor Blanco had the lone multi-hit game for Syracuse, going 2-for-3. Tim Tebow went 1-for-2 with a walk.
Quote: "It was good to get back on track," Wilson said. "My velocity was back up to where it was at the end of last year, I felt very comfortable on the mound."
Postgame Notes: Blanco's 11 homers are a new career high. Ortega has recorded hits in 24 of his last 28 games since May 18. Jack Lopez had his nine-game hitting streak snapped as he went 0-for-4. The shutout was Gwinnett's fourth this season, first since a 6-0 win on May 30 at Toledo.
Next Game (Sunday, June 23): Gwinnett vs. Syracuse, 1:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. LHP Kolby Allard (5-3, 3.92 ERA) for the Stripers vs. TBD for the Mets. Radio Broadcast: 12:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 22, 2019
- IronPigs hit five homers in 13-1 win over Columbus - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Zeuch Shines in Debut as Bisons Win 3-0 over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Late Home Run Downs Tribe and Spoils McRae's Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Sweep Doubleheader over Bats - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Continues Dominance with 3 Homers in Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Wings Blanked in Toledo Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Ryan McBroom homers to secure win for Vejigantes Saturday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mud Hens Win Battle of the Bump - Toledo Mud Hens
- Stripers' Trio Shuts out Syracuse 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Brentz's Blast Lifts PawSox to Win over Indians - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Offense Quieted in 2-0 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- RHP T.J. Zeuch to Make Triple-A Debut for the Bisons Saturday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-45) at Charlotte Knights (39-33) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-33) at Pawtucket Red Sox (30-42) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers' Season Ends in 5-4 Game 4 Loss at Columbus
- Stripers Stay Alive with 10-6 Win in Columbus
- Four-Run Fourth Keys Columbus in 7-3 Win over Stripers
- Stripers Fall 5-4 to Columbus Despite Homers from Riley, Duvall
- Adam Duvall Named International League Batter of the Week