Mets Offense Quieted in 2-0 Loss to Stripers
Lawrenceville, GA - The Syracuse Mets had opportunities to score but never capitalized in a 2-0 loss to the Gwinnett Stripers on Saturday night at Coolray Field. The Mets left nine runners on base in the game and went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
Gwinnett (40-33) scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the sixth inning. With one out, Andrés Blanco pulled a ball down the right-field line and over the right-field wall for a home run that gave Gwinnett a 1-0 lead.
Syracuse (36-38) starting pitcher Ervin Santana allowed just that one run in six innings on the mound. The 36-year-old allowed five hits and no walks while striking out four batters. Santana was efficient, needing just 63 pitches to get through six innings.
Stripers starter Bryse Wilson was equally as impressive, throwing six scoreless frames with seven strikeouts in the game. Wilson walked two batters and gave up five hits.
Gwinnett scored again in the eighth. With Blanco at second base and Travis Demeritte at first, Rafael Ortega doubled, scoring Blanco to extend the Gwinnett lead to 2-0.
The Mets and Stripers finish their three-game series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 22, 2019
- IronPigs hit five homers in 13-1 win over Columbus - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Zeuch Shines in Debut as Bisons Win 3-0 over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Late Home Run Downs Tribe and Spoils McRae's Gem - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Sweep Doubleheader over Bats - Charlotte Knights
- Aquino Continues Dominance with 3 Homers in Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Wings Blanked in Toledo Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Ryan McBroom homers to secure win for Vejigantes Saturday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mud Hens Win Battle of the Bump - Toledo Mud Hens
- Stripers' Trio Shuts out Syracuse 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Brentz's Blast Lifts PawSox to Win over Indians - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Offense Quieted in 2-0 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- RHP T.J. Zeuch to Make Triple-A Debut for the Bisons Saturday - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-45) at Charlotte Knights (39-33) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-33) at Pawtucket Red Sox (30-42) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Mets Win Seventh Straight Game with 11-8 Victory over IronPigs
- Oswalt Tosses Gem and Rivera Homers as Mets Beat IronPigs, 1-0
- Mets Sweep Tides, 9-5, for Fifth Straight Win
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk
- Mets and Tides Postponed on Friday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Saturday