Former Rockets Forward Named New Oil Kings GM
The Edmonton Oil Kings announced today they have named former Kelowna Rockets forward Kirt Hill as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager of their club. Hill joins the Oil Kings after serving as an amateur scout for the Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) during the 2017-18 season.
The Winnipeg, MB native has many years of experience in multiple different facets of the Western Hockey League, beginning as a player for the Rockets in the 2004-2005 season. Hill was originally selected in the second round (40th overall) by the Rockets in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft. Split over three seasons (2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007), Hill played in 124 games for Kelowna, scoring 18 goals and adding 22 assists for 40 points. He also skated in 12 post season games with the Rockets in 2005, scoring two goals and an assist for three points en route to the 2005 WHL Championship for Kelowna. He then joined the Regina Pats for the remainder of his WHL playing career. He finished his WHL career having played a total of 235 games, scoring 34 goals and 45 assists for 79 points along with 290 penalty minutes and a +18 +/- rating.
Following five seasons played in the WHL, Hill played one season (2008-2009) with the Lincoln Stars of the USHL before playing four seasons (2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013) with the University of Waterloo Warriors (U-Sports). He graduated from the University of Waterloo in 2013 with an undergraduate degree in Recreation and Sports Business.
Hill then returned to the WHL, working for the League from 2014-17 serving as the Manager of Player Development and Recruitment as well as the Director of Hockey Operations. Prior to his roles with the WHL, Hill worked as a member of the Ottawa Senators (NHL) marketing department during the 2013-14 season.
Hill and his Oil Kings face off against the Rockets on Saturday, November 17th at 6pm PST at Rogers Place in Edmonton.
Images from this story
Edmonton Oil Kings President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Kirt Hill
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 27, 2018
- Toporowski Competing at USA Hockey National Player Development Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings to Choose Two in CHL Import Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Will Make Two Selections in Th Ursday's CHL Import Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Silvertips Goaltender Dustin Wolf to Participate in Team USA Select 17 Player Development Camp - Everett Silvertips
- 2018 CHL Import Draft Set for Thursday, June 28 - WHL
- Warriors & DFFH Board Partner for Major Upgrade - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Brockman Named Broncos New Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats to Make Two Selections in CHL Import Draft - Regina Pats
- Americans Will Make Selection in 2018 CHL Import Draft - Tri-City Americans
- ICE Launch ICE Kids Club Presented by Denham Ford - Kootenay Ice
- Former Rockets Forward Named New Oil Kings GM - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Releases Fafrak, Will Select One Player in Import Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- Evan Richardson, Andy Kemper Step Down from Winterhawks Broadcasts - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Releases Independent Investigation Report on Oregon Senate Hearing Allegations - WHL
- Oil Kings Name Brad Lauer as Head Coach - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Kirt Hill Named Oil Kings President of Hockey Operations and General Manager - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Brett Connolly Stanley Cup Celebration August 20th - Prince George Cougars
- Charities Benefit from 50/50 Sales at 100th Mastercard Memorial Cup - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.