2018 CHL Import Draft Set for Thursday, June 28
June 27, 2018 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The Canadian Hockey League today announced details for the 27th annual CHL Import Draft which takes place on Thursday June 28, 2018, beginning at 11:00 am Eastern.
The two-round draft will take place online with the order of selection rotating through each of the CHL's three leagues using an inverse order of final regular season standings within each league from the 2017-18 season. The QMJHL's Saint John Sea Dogs hold the number one pick, followed by the WHL's Edmonton Oil Kings at number two, and the OHL's Sudbury Wolves who will select third overall. Each team in the CHL is permitted to dress and play a maximum of two import players each season who are selected annually through the CHL Import Draft.
For the first time since 2013, goaltenders will be eligible for selection in the CHL Import Draft in addition to forwards and defencemen.
A total of 12 players acquired through the CHL Import Draft were recently selected in the 2018 NHL Draft led by top CHL pick Andrei Svechnikov, a Russian forward from the Barrie Colts, chosen second overall by the Carolina Hurricanes. Other first round picks from the CHL Import Draft included Czech forward Filip Zadina of the Halifax Mooseheads chosen sixth overall by the Detroit Red Wings, Swedish defenceman Rasmus Sandin of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds chosen 29th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Russian defenceman Alexander Alexeyev of the Red Deer Rebels chosen 31st overall by the Washington Capitals.
Last season a total of 72 players were selected from 11 different countries led by 19 players from Russia and consisting of 50 forwards and 22 defencemen.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 27, 2018
- Toporowski Competing at USA Hockey National Player Development Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings to Choose Two in CHL Import Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Will Make Two Selections in Th Ursday's CHL Import Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Silvertips Goaltender Dustin Wolf to Participate in Team USA Select 17 Player Development Camp - Everett Silvertips
- 2018 CHL Import Draft Set for Thursday, June 28 - WHL
- Warriors & DFFH Board Partner for Major Upgrade - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Brockman Named Broncos New Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats to Make Two Selections in CHL Import Draft - Regina Pats
- Americans Will Make Selection in 2018 CHL Import Draft - Tri-City Americans
- ICE Launch ICE Kids Club Presented by Denham Ford - Kootenay Ice
- Former Rockets Forward Named New Oil Kings GM - Kelowna Rockets
- Spokane Releases Fafrak, Will Select One Player in Import Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- Evan Richardson, Andy Kemper Step Down from Winterhawks Broadcasts - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Releases Independent Investigation Report on Oregon Senate Hearing Allegations - WHL
- Oil Kings Name Brad Lauer as Head Coach - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Kirt Hill Named Oil Kings President of Hockey Operations and General Manager - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Brett Connolly Stanley Cup Celebration August 20th - Prince George Cougars
- Charities Benefit from 50/50 Sales at 100th Mastercard Memorial Cup - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.