Flames Weekly Rundown
The Flames only played one game this week, which resulted in a loss on Saturday at the hands of the Milwaukee Admirals. While Adirondack battled hard, Milwaukee walked away with two points in dramatic, overtime fashion.
Saturday 1/17/15: Adirondack Flames 3 - Milwaukee Admirals 4 OT (Glens Falls Civic Center)
The Adirondack Flames dropped their third game in a row, as they fell to the Milwaukee Admirals by a final score of 4-3 in overtime in front of a sold out Glens Falls Civic Center on Saturday evening.
It was a big night for David Wolf, as he extended his point streak to four games with two of the three Adirondack goals in the contest, and an assist on the game tying goal with 50 seconds to go in regulation time, scored by Michael Ferland. Goaltender Brad Thiessen made 24 saves in defeat. Ben Hanowski, Mark Cundari, and Emile Poirier also earned assists in the game.
Flames Quick Hits
David Wolf's two goals on Saturday against Milwaukee marked the first multi-goal game of his AHL career.
With the game-tying goal in the final minute of Saturday's game against the Admirals, Michael Ferland lit the lamp for the first time since returning to Glens Falls following his stint with the Calgary Flames.
Adirondack Flames Team Leaders
Goals:Ben Hanowski/Emile Poirier (12)
Assists:Ryan Culkin (16)
Points:Emile Poirier (25)
Games:Garnet Hathaway (40)
PP Goals:Ben Hanowski/Garnet Hathaway (4)
SH Goals:(x) Corban Knight (1)
+/- Rating:Bill Arnold/Emile Poirier (+8)
PIM:Mathieu Tousignant (72)
GAA:(x) Joni Ortio (2.52)
SV %:(x) Joni Ortio (.916)
Wins:(x) Ortio (17)
Losses:(x) Ortio (8)
GPI:(x) Ortio (27)
Minutes:(x) Ortio (1570:58)
On Thursday (1/8/15), goaltender Joni Ortio was recalled to Calgary. Ortio, 23, played in 27 games with Adirondack, during which time he recorded 17 wins, a 2.52 goals against average, and a .916 save percentage. In three starts since joining Calgary, Ortio has gone 3-0-0-0, including a 36 save, 1-0 win to earn his first NHL shutout.
Markus Granlund, who started the season in Adirondack, made his 2014-15 debut with Calgary on Oct. 31. The Finnish forward has accumulated 13 points (5-8-13) in 32 games thus far with Calgary.
In 31 games this season with Calgary, Josh Jooris has now recorded 14 points (9-5-14). After playing two games with Adirondack at the start of the season, Jooris was called up to the NHL when David Jones was sidelined due to a lower-body injury. Jooris has since been placed on the Injured Reserve.
Sven Baertschi is quickly approaching his 100th AHL game. With his 26 games played this season with Adirondack, the Swiss forward has now played 99 games in the AHL.
Flames center Max Reinhart currently has 96 AHL points. He is just four away from reaching the 100-point plateau. He has ten total points this season (5-5-10).
The Week Ahead
Friday at Rochester, Saturday vs. Rochester (1/23/15 & 1/24/15) - 7:05 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.
On Friday, the Flames will kick off a weekend home and home with the Rochester Americans. The two teams will first meet on Friday at the Blue Cross Arena for the eighth time this season, with the Flames having taken four of the first seven contests between them. The squads will then return to Glens Falls the following evening, Saturday, for a date at the Civic Center.
Rochester is entering this week near the bottom of the Western Conference standings, in 14th place. Through 41 games, the Americans are owners of a 17-23-1-0 record, good for 35 points, and have won five of their last 10 outings. The Americans have been led offensively by centers Phil Varone and Mikhail Grigorekno. Varone, 24, and Grigorenko, 20, have both amassed 29 points this season, while Tim Schaller is currently the team leader in goals, with 13.
Between the pipes, rookie Andrey Makarov has taken command, as his 13 wins, 2.79 goals against average, and .908 save percentage is a team best.
Upcoming Events and Promotions
When the Flames take on the Americans on Saturday, it will be Hockey Night in Glens Falls, presented by Bud Light. That game will also be "Amanda's House" night, where one dollar from every ticket sold will benefit "Amanda's House," which provides free housing to the families of patients being treated at Glens Falls Hospital.
Tickets are available now for all home games through a pro-rated full season, 12 game, flex pack, or mini pack. Visit the Flames box office, call 518-480-3355, or order online now at glensfallscc.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2015
- Comets Fall 3-2 in Their First Shootout - Utica Comets
- Manson's Gordie Howe Hat Trick Paces Admirals to OT Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Win Wild One in Jersey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Special Teams Propel Bears Past Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Bite Griffins, 4-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils Thrill New Jersey Crowd - Albany Devils
- Last Second Overtime Goal Sinks Checkers in Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- All-Stars Shine as Bears Throttle Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Race Past IceCaps, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- One Late Goal enough for Wolf Pack 1-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sharks' Langlois Nets Natural Hatty in Comeback Win - Portland Pirates
- Langlois Scores Three in 3rd as Sharks Win Franchise Best 8th Straight - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Pound IceCaps 5-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Whistle-Clean Wolves Win at Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Kings Loan Defenseman Jeff Schultz to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Lower Bowl Sold Out, Upper Bowl Open for Friday's "Battle of Ontario" - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks to Hold "Val James Legends Night" - Rochester Americans
- Flames Weekly Rundown - Adirondack Flames
- McNeill Added to All-Star Roster, Brennan Named Starter - Rockford IceHogs
- Week 15 Recap: Rockford Wins Two of Three in Week 15 - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Hartman Receives One Game Suspension - Rockford IceHogs
- Connor Carrick Headed to AHL All-Star Classic - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Reassigns Mark Fistric to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Syracuse Crunch Marchessault Named An All-Star, Namestnikov a Starter - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Recall McKenna, Assign Four Players to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Recall Longpre from Kalamazoo - Chicago Wolves
- Springfield Falcons Meet the Team Event at Interskate 91 South on January 21 - Springfield Falcons
- Leipsic Added to AHL All-Star Classic - Milwaukee Admirals
- Prince Added to Eastern Conference All-Star Roster - Binghamton Senators
- Pulkkinen Assigned by Detroit, Named to AHL All-Star Starting Lineup - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack's Chris Bourque Named to Eastern Conference All-Star Starting Lineup - Hartford Wolf Pack
- All Three Comets in 2015 All-Star Classic Starting Line-Up - Utica Comets
- Oleksiak, Jokipakka Reassigned from Dallas Stars - Texas Stars
- Alex Petrovic Added to 2015 AHL All-Star Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Roster Changes, Starting Lineups Announced for 2015 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Canadiens Assign Christian Thomas to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Minnesota Returns All-Star Defenseman Matt Dumba to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Manning & Lauridsen Returned on Loan to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Pittsburgh Assigns Hartzell to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Nathan Walker Reassigned to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.