Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 22 at Hickory (Game 125)
Please note the following New York Mets minor league transactions:
- C Hayden Senger will begin serving a two-day league suspension
- C Zak Whalin transferred to Columbia from advanced-rookie Kingsport
- RHP Bryce Hutchinson transferred to Columbia's injured list
Columbia Fireflies (26-32, 50-74) @ Hickory Crawdads (34-23, 75-48)
RHP Jose Butto (4-9, 3.57) vs. RHP Cole Winn (3-4, 5.17)
Thurs., August 22, 2019 - L.P. Frans Stadium (Hickory, NC) - First Pitch 7:00 p.m. - Game 125
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: The Fireflies erased a four-run deficit on Wednesday, rallied for two ninth-inning runs and knocked off the Crawdads, 6-5, at L.P. Frans Stadium. The come-back effort was one of the most courageous all season as the Fireflies tied the largest come-from-behind win of the year. Brian Sharp had a clutch two-out pinch-hit single in the ninth, Hayden Senger scored on a wild pitch and Gerson Molina knocked in the go-ahead run (Sharp) with a base hit past Crawdads first baseman Tyreque Reed. Danny Hrbek then shut Hickory down in the home ninth to clinch the victory.
WHAT A COMEBACK: Wednesday was the second time this season Columbia erased a four-run deficit to win. On June 24 in Asheville, the Fireflies rallied, a bit more dramatically, for six runs in the ninth to down the Tourists, 8-6. The Fireflies found themselves down 5-1 in the sixth inning on Wednesday before they started the comeback against Hickory.
WHAT'S AT STAKE?: The Fireflies now have a chance to win the series with a victory over Hickory on Thursday.
ON A ROLL: Jose Medina posted his third straight multi-hit game after finishing 2-for-4 at the plate on Wednesday. The outfielder has now hit safely in six straight games and is hitting .324 (12-for-37) over his last 10.
SECOND-HALF HITTER: It's been fun to watch the 22-year-old Dominican, Jose Medina, blossom at the plate in the second half of the season:
- J. Medina (1st half): .185 (20 GP), .470 OPS, 0 HR, 4 RBI, 5 R
- J. Medina (2nd half): .271 (38 GP), .792 OPS, 5 HR, 17 RBI, 19 R
AGAINST HICKORY: Take a look at which Fireflies have played well against the Crawdads this season:
- Hayden Senger: .341 (15-for-44), 13 GP, 6 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBI
- Shervyen Newton: .317 (13-for-41), 11 GP, 2 2B, 2 HR, 11 RBI
- Walter Rasquin: .310 (9-for-29), 7 GP, 3 RBI
THE ACE: Right-hander Jose Butto makes his 23rd start of the season on Thursday against Hickory. Since May 28, the 21-year-old owns a 2.39 ERA over his last 14 appearances. Butto faced Hickory once before this year on July 6. He allowed just two runs in five innings of work.
TRICKLE DOWN: The Fireflies wasn't the only team to show its resiliency on Wednesday. Columbia's parent club, the Mets, overcame a deficit in the 10th and walked off against the Indians at Citi Field while the advanced-rookie Kingsport Mets rallied from eight down to beat Greeneville, 16-12.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2019
- 'Hoppers Batter 'Birds in Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Walk-Off Magic Continues as 'Dads Win 3-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Offense Stumbles in 3-0 Loss to Asheville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Salvage Series with Flame Throwing Hernandez - Lexington Legends
- Dogs Pitching Falters Late as Charleston Drops Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bush Outpitches Corry to Clinch Series for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Molina Collects Three Hits in Finale, Bad Luck Dooms Fireflies in Extras - Columbia Fireflies
- Morales, Santos Sharp But Claws Fall 1-0 Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 22) - West Virginia Power
- Power Scores Six Unanswered Runs to Take Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Take Series with Shutout - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 22 at Hickory (Game 125) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vaughn Taylor to Make Appearance at SRP Park, Saturday August 24th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Swanson joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (August 23-25) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Vision Becomes Reality - 2020 Home Opener April 16th - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135)