Offense Stumbles in 3-0 Loss to Asheville
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC: The Augusta GreenJackets (68-59, 32-27) dropped the series finale with the Asheville Tourists (63-66, 34-25) by a final score of 3-0 on Friday night. The GreenJackets have scored just one-run in their last 30-innings. They are now two-games back of 1st place Asheville in the 2nd half standings.
In the 1st inning, Seth Corry started his night by striking out the first two batters he faced. He'd then walk Kyle Datres, and Datres would immediately steal 2nd base. Coco Montes then ripped one into centerfield for a single to score Datres, and it gave Asheville a 1-0 lead.
Nick Bush took a no-hitter into the 5th inning, but it was Jacob Gonzalez for the Jackets to break it up with a single. The Jackets put men on 1st and 2nd base in the inning, but Datres made a terrific play at 3rd base for Asheville to rob the Jackets of a run, and it kept the score at 1-0 for the Tourists.
Corry finished his night after 5.2 innings and he allowed only one-run on two hits. Asheville's Nick Bush kept the Jackets off the board as he went six-innings of shutout baseball. The Tourists used a squeeze play in the 7th inning to extend their lead to 2-0. Then, in the 8th inning, with two outs, a throwing error on 3rd baseman Sean Roby allowed Niko Decolati to wheel around from 2nd base and score to make it 3-0 Tourists.
The GreenJackets offense was unable to come-up with any runs in the 9th, and they drop the series finale by a final of 3-0 as PJ Poulin collected his 10th save of the season for Asheville.
Player of the Game: Jacob Gonzalez, 2-4
The GreenJackets ended the night with only five hits, and it was Gonzalez who had two of them. It was his 25th multi-hit game of the season on Thursday night.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:05 PM vs Lexington Legends (Kansas City Royals), SRP Park, North Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (LEX) RHP Zach Haake (3-6, 3.24 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Trenton Toplikar (3-2, 3.38 ERA)
Trenton Toplikar takes the mound for the GreenJackets in the series opener with the Lexington Legends (Kansas City Royals) on Friday night. Toplikar has yet to face Lexington this season since joining the GreenJackets on July 14th. Toplikar's last outing was one of his best of the year. He went six-innings against the Greensboro Grasshoppers on August 17th and he allowed just two runs, but only one was earned. This season, in 91.2 innings between Augusta and San Jose, Toplikar is holding opposing hitters to just a .222 average. He has made seven starts for the GreenJackets this year, and he has gone less than five-innings only twice. Toplikar was a 16th round selection by the San Francisco Giants in the 2018 MLB Draft out of UC Riverside.
Zach Haake will look to continue his great 2019 season on Friday night at SRP Park. Haake will make his 18th start of the year, and opposing hitter are hitting just .218 against him this year. He has gone five or more innings this year just eight times. He pitched in just one game for the Idaho Falls Chukars of the Pioneer League back in June. This season with Lexington, he has 77 strikeouts to only 33 walks, but Friday will be his first road start since back on July 20th when he faced the Charleston Riverdogs. Haake was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 6th round of the 2018 MLB Draft out of the University of Kentucky. He is currently listed as the #28 overall prospect in the Kansas City Royals organization according to MLB.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2019
- 'Hoppers Batter 'Birds in Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Walk-Off Magic Continues as 'Dads Win 3-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Offense Stumbles in 3-0 Loss to Asheville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Salvage Series with Flame Throwing Hernandez - Lexington Legends
- Dogs Pitching Falters Late as Charleston Drops Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bush Outpitches Corry to Clinch Series for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Molina Collects Three Hits in Finale, Bad Luck Dooms Fireflies in Extras - Columbia Fireflies
- Morales, Santos Sharp But Claws Fall 1-0 Thursday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 22) - West Virginia Power
- Power Scores Six Unanswered Runs to Take Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Take Series with Shutout - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 22 at Hickory (Game 125) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vaughn Taylor to Make Appearance at SRP Park, Saturday August 24th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Swanson joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (August 23-25) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Vision Becomes Reality - 2020 Home Opener April 16th - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Hiring Gameday Staff for 2021 Season
- GreenJackets Announce 2021 Schedule
- SRP Park Unveils High School and College Baseball Schedule
- Augusta GreenJackets Accept Invite, Sign 10 Year PDL with the Atlanta Braves
- SRP Park Offering Ballpark Views to Workday