Walk-Off Magic Continues as 'Dads Win 3-2
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads walked-off against the Columbia Fireflies for the second time this week. Jax Biggers was the hero in tonight's game, providing the game-winning single in the 10thinning to give the 'Dads a 3-2 victory.
Columbia took a 1-0 lead in the first inning but didn't hold onto the lead for long.
The Crawdads tied things up in the bottom of the second inning. Tyreque Reed singled to start off the inning. Reed was out on a force at second by Ryan Anderson who reached first base on the play. Miguel Aparicio lined a foul ball to left field that scored Anderson.
The Fireflies pulled ahead again with a run in the fifth.
In the bottom of the sixth, the 'Dads tied it up at two. Josh Jung drew a walk and moved up to second as Tyreque Reed was hit by a pitch. Both advanced on a wild pitch. Anderson hit a grounder that brought Jung home to tie the game.
The game remained tied until the tenth inning, when the Crawdads got a run across for their second walk-off in the three game set. Jonathan Ornelas laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance Matt Whatley, who began the inning as the runner on second base. Jax Biggers poked a bunt single to first that Whatley slid home safely on to win the game 3-2.
The walk-off is the Crawdads' eleventh of the year, which ties a franchise record for most in a year (records date back to 2002).
Tomorrow evening the Crawdads kick off a key three-game series against the Greensboro Grasshoppers at the Frans. The 'Dads are currently 3.5 games ahead of the Grasshoppers for the second playoff spot in the Northern Division with eleven games to play. Tomorrow night is also Star Wars night thanks to NC Pediatric Dentistry and a post-game fireworks show presented by Lowes Foods and Kicks 103.3.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2019
- 'Hoppers Batter 'Birds in Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Walk-Off Magic Continues as 'Dads Win 3-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Offense Stumbles in 3-0 Loss to Asheville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Salvage Series with Flame Throwing Hernandez - Lexington Legends
- Dogs Pitching Falters Late as Charleston Drops Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bush Outpitches Corry to Clinch Series for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Molina Collects Three Hits in Finale, Bad Luck Dooms Fireflies in Extras - Columbia Fireflies
- Morales, Santos Sharp But Claws Fall 1-0 Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 22) - West Virginia Power
- Power Scores Six Unanswered Runs to Take Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Take Series with Shutout - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 22 at Hickory (Game 125) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vaughn Taylor to Make Appearance at SRP Park, Saturday August 24th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Swanson joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (August 23-25) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Vision Becomes Reality - 2020 Home Opener April 16th - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.