Bush Outpitches Corry to Clinch Series for Asheville
NORTH AUGUSTA - The Asheville Tourists defeated the Augusta GreenJackets 3-0 on Thursday night to claim their three-game series against Augusta two games to one. Asheville allowed a total of one run over the three games and extended their lead in the SAL Southern division to two full games.
Nick Bush was the big story tonight. Augusta's Seth Corry, touted by many as the top pitcher in the league, was outshined by Asheville's left-handed starter. Bush threw six shutout innings and did not give up a hit until there was one out in the bottom of the fifth. Nick struck out five and earned his eighth win of the season. Bush is 5-2 with a 1.75 ERA over his last nine starts.
Corry took the loss for Augusta after allowing a run in the top of the first. Kyle Datres worked a two-out walk, stole second, and scored on Coco Montes' RBI single to centerfield. Montes has driven in at least one run in nine of the Tourists last 11 games.
Asheville added their second run of the game on a successful suicide squeeze in the top of the seventh. Cristopher Navarro dropped down the bunt and Willie MacIver raced home from third. MacIver finished 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles and a walk.
The Tourists added another run in the eighth inning when Niko Decolati doubled and scored on a GreenJackets throwing error. Jacob Bosiokovic, Reagan Todd, and PJ Poulin nailed down the game from the bullpen with three scoreless innings combined. Poulin notched his 10th save of the season by pitching the ninth.
The current road trip continues with a three-game series in Greenville. Game one is scheduled for Friday night at 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2019
- 'Hoppers Batter 'Birds in Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Walk-Off Magic Continues as 'Dads Win 3-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Offense Stumbles in 3-0 Loss to Asheville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Salvage Series with Flame Throwing Hernandez - Lexington Legends
- Dogs Pitching Falters Late as Charleston Drops Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bush Outpitches Corry to Clinch Series for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Molina Collects Three Hits in Finale, Bad Luck Dooms Fireflies in Extras - Columbia Fireflies
- Morales, Santos Sharp But Claws Fall 1-0 Thursday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 22) - West Virginia Power
- Power Scores Six Unanswered Runs to Take Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Take Series with Shutout - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 22 at Hickory (Game 125) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vaughn Taylor to Make Appearance at SRP Park, Saturday August 24th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Swanson joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (August 23-25) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Vision Becomes Reality - 2020 Home Opener April 16th - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.