'Hoppers Batter 'Birds in Finale
SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds saw their three-game winning streak come to an end as the Greensboro Grasshoppers bashed their way to an 11-3 win on Thursday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
Steven Jennings (6-11) registered the win for the Grasshoppers (30-28, 74-53), tossing five innings and allowing just one run on three hits without issuing a walk while striking out five. Drew Rom (6-3) was hung with the loss for the Shorebirds (37-21, 85-42) after going 3.2 innings and giving up seven runs on 10 hits and three walks with four strikeouts.
Greensboro got the scoring right away in the top of the first inning. Jack Herman singled with one away and Ji-hwan Bae moved him to third with a double down the left field line. Fabricio Macias then brought them both home as he belted a double to left to make it 2-0.
Delmarva cut that lead in half in the bottom of the first. Shayne Fontana was hit by a pitch to open the inning and Johnny Rizer followed a single to right, pushing Fontana to third and allowing Rizer to trail into second on the throw to third. After a strikeout, Adley Rutschman scored Fontana with a ground out to second, bringing the Shorebirds to within 2-1.
Some two-out magic helped the Grasshoppers plate four in the second. Zach Kone singled to start the rally and was followed by Jonah Davis who was hit by a pitch and Jack Herman who walked to load the bases. Bae brought them all in as he lined a double to center, expanding the Greensboro lead to 5-1. Macias then rolled an infield single to center which Bae never stopped running on, allowing him to score to make it 6-1.
Greensboro tacked on another run in the fourth. Luke Mangieri belted an RBI to right extending the Grasshoppers' advantage to 7-1.
Bae continued his tremendous day in the fifth with a two-run single, pouring it on for Greensboro to make it a 9-1 lead.
The Shorebirds made inroads in the sixth with two runs. Seamus Curran rolled an RBI single to center and Cody Roberts drew a bases loaded walk to make it 9-3.
The Grasshoppers got those two runs back in the top of the seventh as Jonah Davis blasted a two-run homer to right, his 17th of the season, to cap the scoring for the evening.
Johnny Rizer extended his hitting streak for the Shorebirds to 10 by going 3-for-3 with a run scored. In addition to his bases loaded walk, Roberts added his first triple of the year.
Bae spearheaded the Greensboro attack, finishing 4-for-5 with two doubles, five RBIs, three runs, and a stolen base. Davis bolstered the offense with a 2-for-4 line, swatting a homer, driving in two runs, and scoring three times while also drawing a walk. Macias had his second multi-RBI game of the series, driving in three while going 2-for-4 with a double and a walk.
The Shorebirds now hit the road for the final time in the regular season to take on the Hagerstown Suns. Grayson Rodriguez (9-3, 2.59) is slated to start for Delmarva against Jackson Stoeckinger (2-2, 3.49) for Hagerstown. First pitch from Municipal Stadium is set for 7:05 p.m., and pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:50 with Will DeBoer on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2019
- 'Hoppers Batter 'Birds in Finale - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Walk-Off Magic Continues as 'Dads Win 3-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Offense Stumbles in 3-0 Loss to Asheville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Salvage Series with Flame Throwing Hernandez - Lexington Legends
- Dogs Pitching Falters Late as Charleston Drops Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bush Outpitches Corry to Clinch Series for Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Molina Collects Three Hits in Finale, Bad Luck Dooms Fireflies in Extras - Columbia Fireflies
- Morales, Santos Sharp But Claws Fall 1-0 Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 22) - West Virginia Power
- Power Scores Six Unanswered Runs to Take Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Take Series with Shutout - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 22 at Hickory (Game 125) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vaughn Taylor to Make Appearance at SRP Park, Saturday August 24th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Swanson joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Promotional Notes (August 23-25) - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Vision Becomes Reality - 2020 Home Opener April 16th - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Shorebirds 4th of July Tickets Are Now on Sale
- Promotional Nights Highlight Homestand #5 & #6
- Valentine's Day Packages and Single-Game Tickets for Homestand #4 Are Now on Sale
- Star Wars Night, Bobblehead Giveaway, and Fireworks Highlight Shorebirds Homestand #3
- Shorebirds Single-Game Tickets from April 23 26 Available Now