Fireflies Game Notes: August 30 at Augusta (Game 133)
Columbia Fireflies (28-38, 52-80) @ Augusta GreenJackets (37-29, 73-61)
RHP Christian James (3-10, 4.68) vs. RHP Adam Oller (5-6, 3.98 ERA)
Fri., August 30, 2019 - SRP Park (North Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 133
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia is looking to bounce back from a 5-1 loss on Thursday to Augusta. Ronny Mauricio knocked in the lone run of the evening.
THE COUNTDOWN, 2019: This week, we counted down the top moments at Segra Park in 2019. In case you missed the top moment, take a look below:
1. The Near No-Hitter - June 28, 2019
Columbia carried a no-hitter into the ninth inning on June 28 against Hickory. Thomas Szapucki, Tylor Megill and Billy Oxford allowed just one hit in a brilliant 4-0 shut-out win over the Crawdads. It was Jonathan Ornelas, though, who broke up the no-hit bid with a double with one out in the top of the ninth. Szapucki, in his final start as a Firefly before his promotion to advanced-A St. Lucie, walked just one in his four innings of work and Megill followed that up by walking just one as well in his first four frames of work. Megill came back out for the ninth and struck out Frainyer Chavez before finally yielding the game's first hit. Oxford then came out of the bullpen & retired the next two batters to close out the one-hit shutout.
NEW SERIES, WHO DIS?: Columbia begins its final series of the 2019 season on Friday against Augusta. The season finale will be on Labor Day. The Fireflies and GreenJackets have played 13 times with Augusta winning seven of the matchups. Remarkably, 12 of the 13 meetings have been decided by three runs or fewer.
BACK AT SRP PARK: The Fireflies make their first visit to SRP Park in North Augusta, South Carolina, since May 16. Columbia took two out of three during the set from May 14-16.
HOT HITTERS IN THE SERIES: In seven games against Augusta this year, Chandler Avant has hit .375. He's been Columbia's best hitter against the GreenJackets this season.
AUGUST LEADERS: Mark Vientos (.315), and Gerson Molina (.286) have the best batting averages in August.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Feltner Delivers in Big Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Magic Number Down to Three After 7-3 Win over Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Rack up 14Ks But Fall 4-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off Wild Game vs Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Lidge's First Homer Caps Comeback, Dogs Win Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Molina Doubles Twice in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Homers Too Much for Power in 11-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Simmons' Slam Sees K-Town by 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Top Claws 3-2 on Ninth Inning Throwing Error - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 30 at Augusta (Game 133) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 30) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Baseball to Reveal New Name - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Keep Big Picture in Focus - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Faithful Pack the House for Home Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Ball, Stallings Help Rome Hammer Greensboro 7-0 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies T-Shirts Result in Donation for "Peace of Mind"
- Columbia Fireflies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- "Wash Your Wings" T-Shirt Sales to Benefit "Peace of Mind"
- Fireflies Launch Safe at Home Reading Program
- First Battle at Bull Street Draws Record Setting Crowd