Ball, Stallings Help Rome Hammer Greensboro 7-0
GREENSBORO, NC - Rome salvaged a split in their four game series in Greensboro with a 7-0 shutout victory over the Grasshoppers on Thursday night. Lefty starter Mitch Stallings shoved heat for 8 scoreless innings and Bryce Ball socked a pair of homers and drove in five runs.
The victory also keeps Rome's playoff chances alive entering the final series of the regular season.
The Braves broke a scoreless tie in the 3rd inning when their newest position player Connor Blair ripped a solo homer onto the left-center field berm at First National Bank Field. It was Blair's first hit as a Rome Braves and would ultimately prove to be the game-winning RBI.
Rome made things more lopsided in the 6th on the strength of their cleanup hitter. With two on and nobody out Ball hit a lined shot down the left field line for an opposite-field three run homer. The blast gave Rome a 4-0 lead.
Ball struck again in the 8th inning, this time pulling a long two run bomb out to deep right and towards the street beyond the ballpark. Ball finished his night 2-4 with two homers and five RBI.
Rome would add an RBI single from All-Star Greg Cullen in the 9th inning to make it 7-0. The offensive outburst was more than enough to back Stallings. The Duke alum was at his best on Thursday, keeping the Hoppers hitters baffled. Stallings finished his longest outing with Rome going 8 shutout frames, allowing 6 six hits but none for extra bases. He struck out four and walked two. He faced the minimum through the first 3 innings and only once allowed a runner to reach third base.
Cullen was 3-5 with an RBI. Shea Langeliers went 2-5 with two doubles and scored two runs. Blair was 1-3 with a homer, walk and a stolen base.
Rome finished the road trip with two wins and two losses and returns home for a four game series versus Asheville. The Braves are three games behind Augusta and two games back of Asheville. First pitch of Game 1 from State Mutual Stadium is scheduled for 7 pm Friday.
Rome Braves (34-32, 64-71) 7 R 9 H 0 E
Greensboro Grasshoppers (33-32, 77-57) 0 R 7 H 0 E
W: Mitch Stallings (3-0)
L: Alex Manasa (9-5)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Feltner Delivers in Big Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Magic Number Down to Three After 7-3 Win over Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Rack up 14Ks But Fall 4-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off Wild Game vs Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Lidge's First Homer Caps Comeback, Dogs Win Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Molina Doubles Twice in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Homers Too Much for Power in 11-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Simmons' Slam Sees K-Town by 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Top Claws 3-2 on Ninth Inning Throwing Error - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 30 at Augusta (Game 133) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 30) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Baseball to Reveal New Name - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Keep Big Picture in Focus - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Faithful Pack the House for Home Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Ball, Stallings Help Rome Hammer Greensboro 7-0 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.