Feltner Delivers in Big Tourists Win
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists picked up an impressive road win on Friday night to stay within a game of first place in the SAL Southern division. Asheville's 4-1 victory over the Rome Braves eliminated the Braves from playoff contention.
Ryan Feltner set the tone in his final start of the regular season. Feltner took the mound in search of his ninth victory and he earned it. Asheville's starting pitcher went five innings, surrendered only one run and struck out four. Feltner did most of his damage by inducing groundballs; the right-hander recorded nine groundouts.
Asheville's offense was opportunistic early. The Tourists plated two runs in the top of the second inning; a frame where the Braves committed three errors. The first miscue allowed Willie MacIver to reach base. Max George lined a single into left field and a misplay brought MacIver in to score. George then stole third base and raced home on an overthrow.
Will Golsan connected with one of his three hits on the night in the form of a leadoff single in the third. After a sacrifice bunt moved Golsan to second, Coco Montes recorded his 86th RBI of the season with a run-scoring double down the left field line. Cade Harris then led off the fifth with a double and Golsan moved him to third with a single. Harris then scored on a Niko Decolati groundout for Asheville's fourth run of the contest.
The Tourists bullpen was ready to deliver once Feltner departed. Derrik Watson pitched the sixth and seventh innings without allowing a hit. Watson struck out two for his fifth hold of the season. Reagan Todd worked a perfect eighth inning and PJ Poulin used a pair of strikeouts in a scoreless ninth. Poulin earned his 12th save of the season.
Asheville currently sits one game back of Augusta with three games to play in the regular season. The Tourists are back in action against the Braves on Saturday night at 6:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Feltner Delivers in Big Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Magic Number Down to Three After 7-3 Win over Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Rack up 14Ks But Fall 4-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off Wild Game vs Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Lidge's First Homer Caps Comeback, Dogs Win Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Molina Doubles Twice in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Homers Too Much for Power in 11-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Simmons' Slam Sees K-Town by 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Top Claws 3-2 on Ninth Inning Throwing Error - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 30 at Augusta (Game 133) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 30) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Baseball to Reveal New Name - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Keep Big Picture in Focus - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Faithful Pack the House for Home Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Ball, Stallings Help Rome Hammer Greensboro 7-0 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.