Suns Walk-Off Wild Game vs Lakewood
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Armond Upshaw scored from a sacrifice bunt by Jackson Cluff and a throwing error from pitcher Taylor Lehman to give the Suns a 3-2 walk-off victory over Lakewood Friday evening at Municipal Stadium.
Cluff's sacrifice allowed the third run to score off Lehman (L, 2-2) in his four innings of work vs the Suns (63-74, 33-34).
Tomas Alastre got the start for Hagerstown and earned his sixth quality start of the season, allowing just one earned run (two total) through six frames. The game was not that simple though.
Lakewood (57-78, 28-37) hit out of order in two spots in the line-up and in the fourth inning, it cost Hunter Stovall his second homer of the season. He hit a shot into the Lakewood bullpen that would have put Lakewood up 2-0, but resulted in an out because he had swapped spots with Ben Pelletier.
Christian Vann (W, 4-2) came in after Alastre with the Suns trailing 2-0, but shut down the BlueClaws. The lefty did not allow a hit through three innings and wrung up five to keep the Suns close enough to come out on top.
The first Suns run came in the sixth, after Drew Mendoza led off with a double, Hagerstown's lone extra-base hit of the game. The Florida State-product eventually came around to score on a Kyle Marinconz base knock to left field.
The Suns waited to tie the game until the eighth inning, this time, when Israel Pineda hit a ball though the shift to right that allowed Mendoza to truck home, making the score 2-2.
These two teams will be back at it tomorrow at 6:05 p.m. at Municipal Stadium. RHP Jake Irvin (7-8, 3.97 ERA) toes the rubber for Hagerstown, while Lakewood goes with RHP Rafi Gonnell (4-2, 4.44 ERA).
The Suns continue their final homestand of the season through the end of Labor Day weekend. Tomorrow will be the final special jersey auction of the year and the first 1,000 fans through the gates can snag a Paul "Ears" McNeal bobblehead giveaway. For tickets or more information call 301-791-6266 or visit hagerstownsuns.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Feltner Delivers in Big Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Magic Number Down to Three After 7-3 Win over Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Rack up 14Ks But Fall 4-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off Wild Game vs Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Lidge's First Homer Caps Comeback, Dogs Win Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Molina Doubles Twice in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Homers Too Much for Power in 11-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Simmons' Slam Sees K-Town by 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Top Claws 3-2 on Ninth Inning Throwing Error - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 30 at Augusta (Game 133) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 30) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Baseball to Reveal New Name - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Keep Big Picture in Focus - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Faithful Pack the House for Home Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Ball, Stallings Help Rome Hammer Greensboro 7-0 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.