Molina Doubles Twice in Series Opener
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC - Friday night at SRP Park was another productive one for Gerson Molina. Columbia's centerfielder doubled twice in North Augusta, South Carolina, giving him hits in five of his last six games. The Fireflies dropped the opener to Augusta, though, 7-3.
Molina has been consistent all month and has logged a .297 batting average in August (22 games). That's the best mark on the team. Molina has been particularly good of late, hitting .355 over his last nine games.
Molina's team fell behind, 6-0, after the first two innings on Friday. Columbia (28-39, 52-81) answered with runs in the third, fourth and seventh frames, but ultimately, could not score enough to overcome the deficit. The GreenJackets simply had too many men on base. The home team tallied nine hits, five walks and one batter was hit.
Augusta (38-29, 74-61) remains one game ahead of Asheville for the Southern Division lead with three games left. Columbia has a chance to destroy the GreenJackets' playoff hopes the remainder of the weekend with a few wins.
Molina wasn't the only Fireflies hitter with a pair of hits on Friday. Guillermo Granadillo and Nick Conti each finished 2-for-4 at the plate with doubles.
On the slope, Nick MacDonald - in his Fireflies debut - and Jose Moreno each hurled two scoreless innings.
Bottom 1: Sean Roby drives in a run with an RBI single ... Franklin Labour does the same ... Andres Angulo plates Roby with a double ... Labour scores from third on a wild pitch. AUG 4, COL 0
Bottom 2: Frankie Tostado's ground out brings in a run ... Roby doubles, scores Simon Whiteman. AUG 6, COL 0
Top 3: With the bases loaded, Mark Vientos knocks in Guillermo Granadillo from third with a sacrifice fly to center field. AUG 6, COL 1
Bottom 3: Andres Angulo grounds out 6-4, but plates Franklin Labour from third. AUG 7, COL 1
Top 4: Granadillo rips a double down the right-field line, scores Gerson Molina. AUG 7, COL 2
Top 7: With runners at the corners, Hayden Senger bounces a grounder to first, Jacob Gonzalez commits a throwing error and Nick Conti scores from third. AUG 7, COL3
Columbia and Augusta meet again on Saturday evening at 6:05 ET. The probable starters are righty Jose Butto (4-9, 3.52) for the Fireflies and right-hander Kai-Wei Teng (2-0, 1.23) for the GreenJackets. Tune into the action at FirefliesLiveStream.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Feltner Delivers in Big Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Magic Number Down to Three After 7-3 Win over Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Rack up 14Ks But Fall 4-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off Wild Game vs Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Lidge's First Homer Caps Comeback, Dogs Win Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Molina Doubles Twice in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Homers Too Much for Power in 11-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Simmons' Slam Sees K-Town by 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Top Claws 3-2 on Ninth Inning Throwing Error - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 30 at Augusta (Game 133) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 30) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Baseball to Reveal New Name - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Keep Big Picture in Focus - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Faithful Pack the House for Home Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Ball, Stallings Help Rome Hammer Greensboro 7-0 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135)