Suns Top Claws 3-2 on Ninth Inning Throwing Error
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Armond Upshaw scored from first base on a throwing error in the ninth inning as Hagersotwn came back to top the BlueClaws 3-2 on Friday night at Municipal Stadium.
Upshaw drew a lead-off walk from Taylor Lehman (2-2) in the ninth. Jackson Cluff then bunted in front of the plate and Lehman's throw to first sailed down the right field line, allowing Upshaw to score. It was the ninth walk-off loss for the BlueClaws this season.
Christian Vann (4-2) threw three scoreless innings in relief for Hagerstown to earn the win.
Lakewood (28-37/57-78) falls to 12-10 against the Suns (33-34/63-74) this year and they have dropped two straight games.
The BlueClaws opened the scoring in the first on Cole Stobbe's RBI double, driving home Abrahan Gutierrez.
Things got interesting in the fourth inning. Hunter Stovall hit what appeared to be his second home run of the season. However, Stovall was called out for batting out-of-order to end the inning. He then hit in his correct spot leading off the fifth, singling to center. Later in the inning, Stovall tried to score on a base hit by Malvin Matos, but was called out at the plate and subsequently ejected from the game. He was replaced by Juan Aparicio in the lineup.
Lakewood added a run in the sixth off Tomas Alastre on an RBI groundout by Ben Pelletier for a 2-0 lead. The Suns started their comeback off Lehman in the sixth on an RBI single from Kyle Marinconz and added a run in the eighth on an RBI single from Israel Pineda.
Lakewood starter Erik Miller threw five scoreless innings with six strikeouts.
Stobbe, on his 22nd birthday, and Gutierrez had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws.
The teams continue their series on Saturday night at 6:05 pm. RHP Rafi Gonell (4-2) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Jake Irvin (7-8).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Erik Miller
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Feltner Delivers in Big Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Magic Number Down to Three After 7-3 Win over Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Rack up 14Ks But Fall 4-2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off Wild Game vs Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Lidge's First Homer Caps Comeback, Dogs Win Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Molina Doubles Twice in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Homers Too Much for Power in 11-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Simmons' Slam Sees K-Town by 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Top Claws 3-2 on Ninth Inning Throwing Error - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 30 at Augusta (Game 133) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 30) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Baseball to Reveal New Name - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Keep Big Picture in Focus - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Faithful Pack the House for Home Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Ball, Stallings Help Rome Hammer Greensboro 7-0 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.