Finn-Ishing Touch: Everblades Down IceMen in Overtime
ESTERO, Fla. - Michael Downing's role as hero has turned into a recurring one.
Downing scored the game-winning overtime goal for the second time in a week to lift the Florida Everblades to a 3-2 win over the Jacksonville Icemen in Game 1 of the South Division Semifinal series on Thursday night at Hertz Arena.
Florida's power play proved to be the x-factor in the victory, accounting for two goals on three chances against Jacksonville, which was the ECHL's best penalty-killing team in the regular season.
The first period was filled with goals from inside the blue paint, as all three goals scored in the frame were put in from the crease.
Jacksonville got on the board first on an odd-man rush at the 9:03 mark of the first period. As the Icemen made their way into the zone on a two-on-one breakout, Florida goaltender Jeremy Helvig made the initial save, but the Icemen rushed the net mouth and Alexis D'Aoust jammed the puck through Helvig for the goal.
The Icemen added to their lead on the power play only two minutes, 40 seconds later. Everblades defenseman Riley Weselowski got a stick on the puck on a shot from Maxime Fortier, sending the puck wobbling through the air over the head of Helvig. Christophe Lalancette pounced on the puck and tapped it in from behind the 'Blades rookie goaltender.
But Helvig locked in from there and went the final 55:16 without allowing a goal to earn his first career playoff win.
The 'Blades offense went on to score the next three goals, an unanswered scoring push started by Justin Auger only 69 seconds after Jacksonville's second goal. On a play very similar to Jacksonville's power-play tally, the puck snuck in behind Jacksonville goaltender Ken Appleby, and Auger dove headlong to punch it in to bring Florida's deficit to just one.
After more than 40 minutes of scoreless play, the 'Blades finally tied the game at two with 6:51 left in regulation. On a passing sequence that saw every 'Blades player touch the puck, Ben Massella finally got set up for a shot at the right point. Although Appleby stopped the initial chance, Matt Finn located the rebound in the slot and shoveled it in to tie the score.
The 'Blades nearly won the game early in the extra session when Sam Warning and Nathan Perkovich broke out with a two-on-one rush a little over two minutes into the extra frame. Warning threaded the puck to Perkovich, who was wide open at the back post, but he couldn't get a piece of the puck as it bounced over his stick.
The missed opportunity wouldn't matter thanks to Downing's heroics that sent the 'Blades bench parading onto the ice at 6:59 of the first overtime. Following a high-sticking penalty to Jacksonville's Dajon Mingo, Florida capitalized on the ensuing power play. Kyle Platzer set up Downing at the left point, and Downing hammered a shot through traffic that snuck past Appleby and sealed the come-from-behind win.
Florida's victory marked the fifth time this season it has overcome a deficit after two periods. Four of those victories have occurred against Jacksonville.
Finn (1g-2a) and Downing (1g-1a) both finished with multiple points in the win.
The Everblades continue the best-of-seven series on Saturday night at Hertz Arena. Faceoff is slated for 7 p.m.
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fit into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 12, 2019
- Solar Bears Score Three in Second, Even Series - South Carolina Stingrays
- Hults Scores Twice to Lift Solar Bears to 3-2 Win in Game 2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Beast Drop Close Game One against Growlers - Brampton Beast
- Cyclones Take Playoff Opener against Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Fall 7-4 in Series Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Drop First Game of Series to Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Take Game 1 over Thunder, 4-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Take Game One, 2-1 over Beast - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 12 - ECHL
- Cincinnati's Schultz Named 2018-19 CCM/ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Schultz Named CCM ECHL Most Valuable Player - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 1 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rays Sign Goaltender Evan Weninger to ATO - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Announce Team Award Winners - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Playoffs Begin in Cincinnati - Kalamazoo Wings
- Finn-Ishing Touch: Everblades Down IceMen in Overtime - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades to Hold Annual Equipment Sale on June 2
- 'Blades Weekly: Stellar 21st Season Comes to a Close
- Everblades' Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Growlers
- O'Brien's Hat Trick Pushes Growlers Past Everblades in Game 4
- Sheppard Returned from AHL's Charlotte Checkers