FC Dallas Adds Four Players in 2018 MLS SuperDraft
PHILADELPHIA, PA - FC Dallas selected Francis Atuahene (Michigan, 4th overall), Ema Twumasi (Wake Forest, 11th overall), Mauro Cichero (SMU, 29th overall) and Chris Lema (Georgetown, 34th overall) during the first two rounds of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas, which was held today at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia, PA.
Links Francis Atuahene: Speech | Highlights | Interview Ema Twumasi: Speech | Highlights | Interview Chris Lema: Highlights
The day began early for FC Dallas, who traded $200,000 of General Allocation Money to the Montreal Impact for the No. 4 overall pick. FCD used the selection to draft forward Francis Atuahene from the University of Michigan.
Atuahene, 21, played three seasons at the University of Michigan. The forward scored 24 goals and had 11 assists in 49 matches for the Wolverines from 2015 to 2017.
"My game is a very, very fast-paced style," Atuahene said. "I make a lot of runs and get up and down the field. I am always cutting and trying to make moves in the final third. That is something FC Dallas fans are going to like. I'm going to bring that exciting game of mine to the team. Just work hard every day and adapt to the system."
FC Dallas landed a second player born in Ghana's capital city of Accra with the team's natural No. 11 selection - forward Ewa Twumasi. Twumasi, 20, scored 16 goals and had 11 assists in two seasons (47 games) at Wake Forest University.
"I didn't expect to have him available at No. 11," said FC Dallas head coach Oscar Pareja. "It was a luxury to get him. He can complement well with the players we have and [Francis and Ema] can help each other. They developed together when they were young. They will feel more familiar being close to one another. Those things are positives for FC Dallas."
Both Atuahene and Twumasi are Generation adidas players from the Right to Dream Academy in West Africa.
"Where I come from in Ghana, not everyone has an opportunity," said Atuahene. "Back in my village, there were kids that were even better than me that did not get this opportunity. For me, part of being a professional player, part of having an education is making a difference in other people's lives. That is what I plan on doing. There is a lot talent in the world but people just don't have the opportunity. I want to give opportunities to people. Being in Dallas, I will be able to help do that while also focusing on giving my best on the field."
FC Dallas selected SMU forward Marco Cichero with the 29th overall selection. The 22-year-old forward scored 22 goals and had 17 assists in 51 matches for the Mustangs from 2015 to 2017.
"We did our homework on Mauro Cichero," said Pareja. "We have had a lot of contact with SMU. It's an organization that is tied to our heart. Mauro showed very well during the college season. Unfortunately he had an injury. For sure, I believe that it is not going to separate him from the game. [An ACL injury] is something that has happened to many players around the world that have founds ways to get back to being their best. We will wait for Mauro. There isn't any rush for us to have him preforming. We wait for Mauro and when he recovers we can see what he brings to the table."
The club added midfielder Chris Lema with the 34th overall selection. The 21-year-old was a four-year starter at University of Georgetown from 2014 to 2017, where he scored five goals and had 12 assists.
"We saw a lot of technique there," Pareja said. "I saw a lot of composure on the ball and a player who is very smart to glue people together in the middle. We are overloading the middle, but we can find other programs where we can place these guys and let them mature. We'll see if one of them can excel and then bring them to the first team. For me, to see a player that we believe can excel is more important than just bringing a guy to camp."
The third and fourth rounds of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft will be held via conference call on Sunday, January 21. FC Dallas holds the No. 57 and 80 overall selections.
Name: Francis Atuahene Pronunciation: At-two-A-hen-A Drafted: 1st Round, No. 4 Overall Connect with Francis: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook Position: Forward DOB: June 8, 1996 (21) College: Michigan Birthplace: Accra, Ghana Hometown: Accra, Ghana Height: 5-9 Weight: 170 Nationality: Ghana
Name: Ema Twumasi Pronunciation: Ee-ma Two-ma-See Drafted: 1st Round, No. 11 Overall Connect with Ema: Instagram | Twitter Position: Forward DOB: May 18, 1997 (20) College: Wake Forest Birthplace: Accra, Ghana Hometown: Accra, Ghana Height: 5-8 Weight: 160 Nationality: Ghana
Name: Mauro Cichero Pronunciation: See-chair-o Drafted: 2nd Round, No. 29 Overall Connect with Mauro: Twitter Position: Forward DOB: August 1, 1995 (22) College: SMU Birthplace: Norman, Oklahoma Hometown: Norman, Oklahoma Height: 6-3 Weight: 175 Nationality: USA
Name: Chris Lema Pronunciation: Lem-uh Drafted: 2nd Round, No. 34 Overall Connect with Chris: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook Position: Midfielder DOB: August 5, 1996 (21) College: Georgetown Birthplace: Ridgefield, NJ Hometown: Ridgefield, NJ Height: 5-10 Weight: 160 Nationality: USA
About FC Dallas: A member of Major League Soccer since its inception in 1996, FC Dallas is owned and operated by Hunt Sports Group. The professional team plays from March to November at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. One of the first soccer-specific stadiums built in the United States, the venue plays host to Major League Soccer matches, concerts, international soccer matches and high school football. The 145-acre Toyota Soccer Center also includes 17 regulation-sized, tournament-grade soccer fields and is also home to the organization's nationally-renowned youth development system.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2018
- Chilean Attacking Midfielder Jeisson Vargas Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC 2 Announces Current Roster Ahead of 2018 Sounders FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes to Host Media Day on Wednesday, January 24 - San Jose Earthquakes
- BMO acquires naming rights to Toronto fc's training grounds - Toronto FC
- Philadelphia Union to Introduce Midfielder David Accam on Tuesday - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Select Three Players in MLS SuperDraft - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2018 Preseason at Zions Bank Real Academy Tuesday Afternoon - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Select Four Players in Final Two Rounds of 2018 MLS - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Selects Midfielder Luis Argudo - Columbus Crew SC
- United Select Afonso Pinheiro and Rafael Andrade Santos in the 2018 - D.C. United
- SOUNDERS FC SELECTS CHRIS BARED IN THIRD ROUND OF 2018 MLS SUPERDRAFT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Selects Midfielder Ken Krolicki in Third Round of 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC Takes Two Players in Final Round of SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Select Jared Stroud and Jose Aguinaga in Fourth - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Select UNLV Midfielder Kevin Partida in Third Round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Drafts Amer Sasivarevic and Noah Franke in Final Rounds - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Select Nate Schultz with the 48th Pick in the 2018 MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MAXIME CRÃ?PEAU LOANED TO OTTAWA FURY FC FOR THE 2018 SEASON - Montreal Impact
- United Soccer League Announces 2018 Sounders FC 2 Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Gyasi Zardes and $400,000 - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Sign 20-Year-Old USYNT Midfielder Eric Calvillo - San Jose Earthquakes
- French Center Back Zakaria Diallo Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- MNUFC Nets Massive Haul with Three First Round Picks at 2018 SuperDraft - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Selects FW Ricky Lopez-Espin in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Adds Four Players in 2018 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- Paxton Pomykal and Brandon Servania Depart for U.S. U20 Camp
- FC Dallas Remains on Top of the West with 3-1 Win vs. Chicago
- #FCDvCHI: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match
- Reggie Cannon and Paxton Pomykal Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer
- FC Dallas Loans Chris Richards to FC Bayern Munich